[DML] Re: News paper article January 16 2000

Mike03062@xxxx wrote:

> In my humble opinon what JZD
did to help stop the "Troubles" in Northern Ireland, Create Jobs among both
sides equally, he should have been nominated for sainthood. Jobs, Good
jobs, everywhere is the beginning of the answer!!!!

I wholeheartedly agree. I grew up in Belfast... and yes I do remember
when Delorean set up a plant there (though I was too young to really
understand it, having been born in 1973). Anyway, I do agree with you
that JZD tried his damndest to help... though his motivations were not
all so noble. The majority of the reasons for him setting up in Dunmurry
were more to do with money than trying to stop the troubles. Sad but
true.

However, I like to believe that PART of his motivation was helping those
in N.Ireland. Jobs were scarce... even up until I got out of school at
18 and moved to London... and people with no hope, no future and bored
with sitting at home all day are going to get up to no good.

Detractors have said that JZD didn't make a difference... that the
troubles continued unabated. Yes... but how long do people think it
would take for the troubles to wind down? N. Ireland needed a lot more
than Delorean at that point to save it... more business moving in
would've helped dramatically. I think the reason the troubles have been
less of a problem the last 10 years have been because business IS moving
in. If you look at downtown Belfast these days, it's a different world
from the one I remember even from my teens. There's more business...
more shops... more LIFE. The lower-profile police presence also makes it
a little less oppressive... funny I never even realized it
WAS oppressive until I tried living elsewhere... guess it's all what
you're used to :)

Still... this is the reason I love the Delorean so much... not so much
for the car (though it IS a wonderful vehicle... technologically...
stylistically etc.)... but for what it represented; the potential for a
very different Northern Ireland that unfortunately never had a chance to
come to fruition. I don't own one yet... but I will... eventually.

--
Gavin Haslett
thumper_svx@xxxx