[DML] Re: re: transmission problems!

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999 17:38:48 -0500, Dave Swingle wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Sean Spurlock wrote:
> > This is a very peculiar problem. A friends DeLorean will not shift
> > into first unless the shifter is brought down into second and then
> > slammed back into first. Thsi is all accompanied by a slight grinding
> WTW wrote:
> ...But I have heard that you're not supposed to change
> the transmission oil on the DeLorean.
>
> I'm not sure why this would be. I would change the oil. Regarding the
> original problem I'd guess bad syncros as well, usually caused by leaving
> the original plastic clutch line in the car too long. Bad part is, at
least
> in my case, was that the syncronizers (the brass part) were fine but the
> sliding gear (the expensive part) was bad.

This is the exact same problem that I had. The fix was challanging but and
quite time consuming but the end result was perfection with smooth shifting.

I had to open the transmission anyway because of the sheared second gear
rollpin syndrome ,so I decided to replace the first gear syncromesh ring .
Yes. the sliding gear was damaged from the effects of grinding gears, but
after I priced out a new one through a renault dealer in england @ over
$600.00 , I grit my teeth and decided to reuse the old one.
I replaced the rollpin with a doubled rollpin as recommended by Steve Wynne.
Since I had the trans out I also replaced the rear main crankshaft seal my
old seal had actually been turning in its housing and was leaking . while I
was at it I replaced the clutch with a new centerforce unit. ( btw: the
centerforce clutch is nothing more than a oem velao unit with fly weights
added to the diaphragm spring fingers) a new throwout bearing and pilot
bearing I lubricated the clutch fork with a 50/50 mix of anti-seize compound
and grease ( a tip from Rob Grady) I also replaced the slave cylinder and
the clutch line. The net result was shifting perfection . As a note I do
plan too replace the clutch master cylinder this winter because it does
show signs of weeping.

Hope You don't get to discouraged by all this, but if you want the car too
shift right, there really isn,t a cheap quick fix for the long run. I n some
cases just replacing the clutch line may work but just remember how much
gear damaged has probably occured for quite some time because of neglect in
fixing it as soon as it developed. btw; I baught my car with 31K mi. and it
still had the old clutch line . As a side note when I examined my old clutch
disc I found a year of mfg date stamped in it 1988 which tells me that the
clutch had been replaced before probably due to the premature wear caused by
the old clutch line that they didn't replace.

Dennis Vin 5180