[DML] Re: DeLoreans on Chris' car site

Ann & Ed Thompson wrote:

> So now that we know there were no actual 1980 or 1983 production models, this could
> get interesting. The DeLorean I saw on Chris' site was clearly a right-hand-drive
> setup. It had the toll booth windows rather than the slide-bys which indicates that
> it is not likely a prototype. So, I assume this was a British version. Now then,
> 1981 DeLoreans began production in December of 1980. Perhaps Great Britain has a
> regulation that says an automobile must be titled in the year it was built.
> Actually, as I understand it, all early right-hand versions were converted in
> after-market shops.

Actually this is an aftermarket converted car and now resides in Australia. ALL the
factory right-hookers with the exception of Dave's WIA 8096 (the one in BFTF) have the
"Euro" prototype light clusters. The "factory" right-hookers were not converted at
Dunmurry, but were worked on under comission at a company in Andover, but were taken back
to the factory and again with the exception of WIA 8096, AFAIK remained there as
prototypes until being sold off at the liquidation auctions (that's why they all have SIJ
**** [irish] plates). The cars I have seen have May 82 build dates, but this may simply be
the time when they decided to put VIN plates on them. Steve Wynne said he thought the
Hooper's right-hander had a very early (prototype?) underbody on it. Yet it has VIN
#12179, May 82.

In the UK a new car will be dated from the day it is REGISTERED with DVLA (Driver and
Vehicle Licensing Association). If Dave were to register his mint left-hooker now, because
it has never been registered anywhere in the world, and has fewer than 3000 miles on the
clock, he would get this year's V plate as a brand new car. Generally a car which has been
registered elsewhere in the world would be registered here with the year on the VIN plate
- most are W, X and Y in the UK.

Best Wishes,

Martin
http://delorean.connect-2.co.uk