[DML] Re: DeLoreans on Chris' car site

> BondAtomic@xxxx wrote:
>
> No, I believe that was either a typo or maybe they got their facts wrong. Am
> I right or wrong by saying DeLoreans were in production from 1981-1983?

Yes and no. Standard production at the factory started in December of 1980 and
ended in October of 1982 (or was that July?). This does not include the unknown
exact number that were assembled after the factory closed, assembled by supervision
and management, and were designated 1983's. The British government mandated that all
1982's be sold before DMCL could start building 1983 models. That never happened.
In reality almost all 1983's are nothing more than left over late model 82's. A few
of the very latest 83's were 82 models that were actually retrofitted with planned
changes for the 1983 models that were never built. The last DeLorean was assembled
at the DMCL in Dunmurry on December 24th, 1982. A true, honest-to-god 1983 production
line never operated so there were no 1983 regular production models ever built, only
82's that were designated 83's.

So now that we know there were no actual 1980 or 1983 production models, this could
get interesting. The DeLorean I saw on Chris' site was clearly a right-hand-drive
setup. It had the toll booth windows rather than the slide-bys which indicates that
it is not likely a prototype. So, I assume this was a British version. Now then,
1981 DeLoreans began production in December of 1980. Perhaps Great Britain has a
regulation that says an automobile must be titled in the year it was built.
Actually, as I understand it, all early right-hand versions were converted in
after-market shops.

So, could it be that a converted early 1981 DeLorean that was built and sold in Great
Britain in December of 1980, was actually titled as a 1980?

BTW, has anyone bothered to ask Chris?

Regards,
Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)