[DML] Re: Replacement Tires for the Originals?

[DML] Re: Replacement Tires for the Originals?

You're correct on the front tires, but the original rear tires were also
NCT's in a 235/60-15, not the Eagle GT's in a 245 as you stated. I know,
I've got the original tires in storage. Plus the owner's manual gives the
sizes.

If at all possible, stick with the same brand AND model of tire for the
front and the back. Mixing tire models could in some cases cause handling
problems. There are a few different models of tires that fit the D that
come in the original 195/60-14 and 235/60-15. Speed ratings of H, V, or Z
or OK, plus a couple of other ones that I don't recall. The speed rating
isn't really all that important unless you plan to drive at very high
SUSTAINED speeds. V and Z are both rated faster (better) than H.

One of the best currently being produced is the Yokohama AVS Intermediate.
You can get these from the Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com/) for about
$350 for the set of 4 delivered to your door. They'll recommend a local
tire shop to mount and balance if you ask them. I've got a set of the AVS
tires and can highly recommend them. Smoother ride than the NCTs and better
handling IMHO. Of course I am comparing them to 18 year old tires :) I'll
also highly recommend the Tire Rack. I've been buying tires from them for
about 3 years and have never had any problems. Most of the time I have the
tires within 2 days of ordering.

Mark N
VIN 6820

PS--I'll sell my NCT's to you if you're really interested. 3 of the 4 are
in near perfect condition with 6/32 of tread or more, and the 4th is nearly
as good, but shows some wear in the center of the tread. No cracking or
checking of the rubber.