[DML] Re: Fwd: Rejected.

I kind of figured that would be the DML's reaction. Frankly, I'm surprised
they ever posted my original comment, and I bet now they wish they hadn't.
That "bury your head in the sand" mentality is what DOA did, and it could
well have cost some owners their cars, and could be jeopardizing lives. The
twin turbo car I purchased as a total caught fire in the owner's garage the
minute he started it, and he managed to save his house by pushing it
outside. The other PNDC car that burned was being driven home from a repair
shop that had worked on the motor. He got out just in time to see his prize
possession go up in flames.

I too am an engineer, and a life-long mechanic and hotrodder. While I agree
with DMC Joe and others that the chief problem is probably unskilled
mechanics or owners tinkering with their cars, that doesn't excuse the fact
that the design of having all those high pressure fuel lines directly over
the top of the ignition distributer is very poor. Other than proper
maintenance and diligence, I really don't have any ideas to cure the
problem. I still trust the cars and drive one most of the time, but then
mine is Chevy powered, with one fuel line that is no where near the
ignition. And I still carry an extinguisher.

I agree with your comparison to the fan fail and door lock problems. We
can't pretend these defects don't exist; we need to just develop remedies
for them. And that's precisely why I appealed to those "experts" with more
actual repair experience than I have. But when one of the best known claims
he has never seen an engine fire in one, and way up here in the boonies I
have personally seen 6 plus photos of a dozen or so more, something just
doesn't ring true.

My only reason for bringing this up was that I felt it was a POTENTIAL
problem that had been ignored too long, and I wanted to open some eyes and
some dialog on it. I think I accomplished that. It remains to be seen if I
am the "hero" or get vilified, which is the direction I'm betting on.
Personally, if this thread saves one car or more importantly one life, then
I will feel vindicated.

Darryl Tinnerstet
Specialty Automotive
4 LaBelle Lane