[DML] Re: Dick Ryan are you there???

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Christopher Hawes wrote:

> I am also curious about the DMC-12 exhaust system. I know there is a
> system available which has larger tailpipes and gives a more throaty
> rasp to the engine note, I expect I will improve performance a little
> too, does anyone know if this was a DMC original related item and how
> much it costs I have heard rumour of around $3000.

You could get a kit including those properties for about that price. You
could probably even get a turbo thrown in too. :}

If you just want an exhaust upgrade you can expect up to about 10HP boost
and a little more noise, increase in power is usually proportional to
increase in noise of course. I'm not aware of any such exhaust kits but
you could reasonably get one made for just a couple hundred dollars - far
less than $3000.

> I would also like to know if engine noise throughout the Back To The Future
> films is the sound of the standard 130bhp 2.8 V6? It sounds more like a
> V8!!!!

It's dubbed in.

> I have noticed that there is a whine when reving/accelerating. Anyone know
> what causes the whining?

It could be some sort of gear whine, a small exhaust leak, a sign of a
bearing of some sort getting ready to fail, or any number of things...
does it occur in all gears and speeds as well as neutral or does it only
happen under some conditions?