[DML] Re: DeLorean Dilemma

> Cam Johnson wrote:
>
> I've noticed that the majority of posts on the mailing list are
> about mechanical features/fixes/problems (although I don't know what I
> was expecting :)). I am quite unknowledgeable in auto-mechanics (but
> am learning more every day thanks to you guys :))...does the DeLorean
> really have this many problems?!

Look at it this way: You have no way of knowing if an owner does NOT have
a problem to write about. You rarely hear about those DeLoreans that
don't have problems. ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it!") If owners wrote
frequently about their DeLoreans that did NOT currently have any problems,
the DML would be suffering massive gridlock.

Anytime you put together any machine with thousands of parts and hundreds
of rotating parts, there are going to be some problems sooner or later.
Also keep in mind that the DeLorean is pushing 20 years old. Most of the
problems written about here on the DML are not unusual, in numbers, for ANY
automobile nearly 20 years old, albeit some are unique to the DeLorean.
Show me a 20 year old Chevy or Ford that doesn't have frequent problems!
BTW, I have a 1984 Corvette that has given me FAR more problems than my
DeLorean has. I recently donated a 1980 Oldsmobile and a 1983 Dodge to
charity because they had so many problems that I considered them
worthless. They had both been daily drivers. At some point most daily
drivers are not worth the repairs they require. The DeLorean, of course,
with a MUCH greater residual value for a variety of reasons, is an
exception to that.

Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)
Midlothian, VA