[DML] Re: DMC ABUSE

> DJRaich@xxxx wrote:
>
> > These so-called low mileage cars tend to need more attention
> > than their selling price will allow
>
> Boy oh boy will I second, third and fourth this opinion.

Then how would you explain that those "low mileage" D's ALWAYS
command a higher price? Buyers that want top notch cars know that
the "low milers" may indeed require some extra attention at first,
but the serious buyer/enthusiast also knows that they are by far the
best value in the long run. A low mileage car doesn't automatically
mean that the car has been just "sitting" for nearly 20 years. I
drive mine regularly and I CAN authenticate the mileage of 9,850.
That is, on average, roughly two outings a month at about 25 miles
each. That is hardly sitting. I am not "bragging" about the low
mileage, it's just happens to be a fact! She still "purrs like a
kitten" the first time and every time. I also have a boat of about
the same vintage that was purchased new about the same time. I would
say that the boat has even fewer hours on it than the DeLorean does
primarily because it's a seasonal toy and only gets "driven" during
3 or 4 months of the year, and because of my work schedule. She also
"purrs like a kitten" the first time and every time and, BTW, she
commands an exceptionally high marine survey rating (translates to
value) primarily because of the exceptionally low "mileage". I have
seen cars and boats of the same vintage that are absolute rags and
essentially have NO value. Since 1995 I have donated 3 vehicles
(all newer than my DeLorean) to the National Kidney Foundation because
they had more value to me as a tax deduction than they did book value
which was essentially zero. An exception to this is the DeLorean that
will always retain a healthy residual value even if as nothing more than
a "parts car", even if would cost more to restore it than its value after
restoration. That is to say that a ragged out, worn out DeLorean still
has many hard-to-find and valuable parts that are not subject to wear
or abuse. Because of that, the worst of abused DeLoreans (short of
totaled or burned-out) are worth at least several thousand dollars.
That's the low end. The ones you loath are at the other end, and as
long as I remain a DeLorean owner that's where I want to be.

Regards,
Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)