[DML] Re: DMC ABUSE

My two cents worth (for which you have to pay even less): A well maintained vehicle with any amount of miles can be a great "runner". In my case, I drove mine for thirteen years as a daily driver, averaging probably over 12K per year. Since early 93, while I was working overseas, it was only driven once or twice a year for, maybe, 2-3000 miles a year. Now that I am back, I am taking it out a couple of times a week, looking for those back country roads where one can really enjoy the handling of the machine. Since my return to the states in May, I can honestly say that the car is running better and better every time I take it out. With 150,000+ miles on it, it is still the best driving D I have ever been in, with the possible exception of #502, the twin-turbo prototype. Admitedly, the engine is not quite stock, having been massaged gently by Stephen Wynn: ported and polished heads, "hot rod" valve job, and a slightly higher lift cam, producing an estimated 185 HP. Although still normally aspirated, I'm told it is faster than most turbos on the road and remains a very pleasant driver in stop and go traffic.

We are fortunate to own an "exotic" that really doesn't cost an arm and a leg to maintain and repair (as long as you don't bend the left front fender). So, drive the things and enjoy them. There are much better "investments" out there, in spite of the recent performance of the stock markets. Paying a high premium for a "low milage" car is false ecomomics, and personally, as much as I appreciate the lasting beauty of the design, I get tired of just looking at them. I've got to get in it and drive it and drive it hard. That's what it's made for. If something breaks, I know that I can fix it without breaking the bank.

Bill Swilley
VIN 4730
TX Lic: 81 DMC

PS: If anyone would like a drive in my baby to see if they agree with my opinion of it, please feel free to collar me in Atlanta or St. Louis.