[DML] Re: 1981 DeLorean Idle Speed

Rich,
With the engine turned off have an assistant slightly press and release the
accelerator pedal while you are listening in the engine compartment. You
should hear a mechanical "click" as the pedal is operated. This sound means
the Idle Speed Microswitch is operating normally. If the "click is
intermittent you may have a sticky or miss-adjusted throttle linkage. This
will cause the idle speed problem you have described.

Go to D:05:02 in the Workshop Manual for a complete explanation and
diagrams of the proper operation of this system. If you don't have this
information or have further inquires contact us directly. For a quicker
reply go to the "HELP" page at our web-site and send your request to DMC
Joe.

DMC Joe / DeLorean Services / <dmcjoe@xxxx>
Web Site: <http://www.deloreanservices.com>

----------
> From: Rich Kula <rkula@xxxx>
> To: 'dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx'
> Subject: [DML] 1981 DeLorean Idle Speed
> Date: Thursday, August 19, 1999 11:11 AM
>
> Dear DMCNews,
>
> I recently purchased a turbo 1981 DeLorean VIN # 1460 with 30k miles. I
am also a member of the DeLorean Owners Association Member number 5624.

> At times the idle speed runs high. This is less prominent with the AC
on. Normally the idle speed is around 1000 but at times it runs in the
1200-1300 range and as high as 1500. When I stop at a light or sign I need
to rev the accelerator up slightly and it returns to around 1000 rpm's.
Sometimes it resets itself down with a "clicking" noise coming from the
rear right of the cockpit. There is also a click occasionally from the
dash but I cannot pin down what is causing it.