[DML] Re: Giugiaro

> Another excellent site to check out is Viva DeLoreans Giugiaro Trinute Page
> Its at www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/1166/giugiaro.htm
> follow the link to his other work and you will see many good pics. of his
> works, including, what may have been, read was soon to come if Delor stayed
> in bus., the 4 door DeLorean!!!!! :)

Actually the 4 door was argued against by Nuccio Bertone for several valid
reasons. There were three designs by Giugiaro (1975) for a 2+2 version, but
with 2 doors. De Lorean was interested in the 4 door 1980 Medusa by Giugiaro
but that car did not have gullwing doors. Bertone actually built a 2+2
gullwing for Lamborghini called the Marzal. This car resembled the production
DMC-12. Of course a production 4 door DeLorean was never built, but
De Lorean wanted to build one right up to the end.

BTW, GM built a prototype Corvette in the early 70's with gullwing doors.
Guess who was General Manager of Chevrolet when he quit? JZD hisself!

For those of you that can get your hands on one, the book "De Lorean: Stainless
Steel Illusion" (ISBN 0-930880-09-9) is a great source for this kind of trivia.
This book superbly chronicals the 8-year history of the De Lorean Motor
Company. It's packed with drawings and photographs, including a photo of the
first DeLorean prototype, a Fiat X 1/9 fitted with a Ford V-6. There is also
brief mention and a photo of the bus project, the DMC-80.

Ed Thompson (#6419)
Midlothian, VA

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews