[DML] On modifications and engine swaps

For the person that wants to 'mod' their DeLorean:

If you want a high performance car, lots of aftermarket goodies, etc...
the DeLorean is not your car, unfortunately. The DeLorean's PRV engine is
known for fuel economy and reliability, not high performance. In stock
trim it makes just a little over 130HP. As far as aftermarket upgrades,
most of them are reliability oriented. The only real performance upgrade
is one of the various turbo kits. These are generally fairly expensive,
and while they make a noticeable performance boost, the resultant output
is most always below 200HP - pretty good by 1981 standards, but not by
1999 standards. I estimate that with forged rods & pistons, intercoolers,
etc. you might be able to get about 250HP out of the PRV. The RX-7 (which
weighs about the same) makes that much stock.

For the same price, you can get a good late-model Supra, RX-7, Stealth, or
300ZX. You'll find that these sorts of cars respond much better to
bolt-on modifications. The DeLorean is beautiful, and unique. It's the
sort of car that doesn't *have* to prove itself at a stoplight.

The only real way to make a DeLorean go real fast is to put in a different
kind of engine. Buick and Chevy V6s have been done and can make 300HP or
so; there's also a couple of V8s that will fit. Any more than 300HP or so
and you will break your transmission and possibly overstress the frame, as
well, so you have a major re-engineering effort if you want to go past
that.

Whoever mentioned the idea of a 3-rotor Mazda wankel, email me privately.
I have put some thought into that one...

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews