[DML] Re: Air Conditioning / Clicking Noise

[DML] Re: Air Conditioning / Clicking Noise

Not to get in to a long thread on this, but this is really a matter of
opinion. I think it may be covered well in the back issues.

R-12 has actually dropped in price over the years. My local pep boys
sells a 12oz can for about $10.00 (You need a license to buy it).

The most common conversion is to R-134a.

The R-134a does cost a bit less than the R-12, and SOME will argue that
it is safer for the ozone. If R-12 is handled properly and the AC
system is kept in good repair, then there is no ozone issue.

R-134a runs about 70% higher pressure than R-12, so it is required that
all of the O ring seals are replaced. The compressor was not designed
for this higher pressure, so your 17 year old compressor may also not be
too happy with the R134-a. Also know that R-134a does not get as cold
as R-12, and for those of us who have been in the DMC on a hot day know
the cooler the better!

For a proper conversion, the system must be well flushed. If you simply
remove the R-12, replace the seals, and recharge you will be replacing
the compressor within a year. This is due to the mineral oil that is
used with R-12. When R-134a mixes with the oil, it turns to a sludge
that will clog the orifice and dryer.

R-134a is great for a car that was designed for it. The DeLorean was
not. Stick with R-12.

There are other alternatives that claim to be R-12 direct replacements
but be careful of them. Many contain propane which works great as a
R-12 replacement, but if you have a small leak in the AC system it can
explode and be a funeral for a DMC owner, and no one wants that to
happen.

Also be careful of buying R-12 from sources that are unknown, because
very often it is a R-12/Propane blend. Again, the Propane can explode.

DO NOT USE ANY PRODUCT WITH PROPANE (or the likes of) IN IT!

There are some other "snake oil" types of replacement, but I have never
met someone who actually tried it. I have also never seen any unbiased
test results.. (But, I have not looked that hard... R-12 works, why
change?)

All IMHO, I am dont claim to be a expert, and dont even play one on TV.

Marc

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews