[DML] Re: Painting a DeLorean

I've been reading this newsletter for some time now, this is my first
response. I think that as owners of Deloreans, we are fortunate to be part
of a special group of people. Whether it is because we like cars in general
or have a special liking for Deloreans. I am lucky enough to own a number
of cars including a couple of Deloreans (one painted and one "au-natural").
I've received both positive comments and negative comments on both cars.
The painted one gets the most attention. The unpainted one has been called
everything from a time machine to a kitchen sink w/wheels. Personally, I
like the painted car. I think the color really enhances the body lines and
brightens up the whole package. But more to the point, WHO CARES! We
Deloreanites are an exclusive group that is either interested in, or owns
Deloreans!!!! To not consider a painted car is fine if that is what you
prefer. It seems a little narrow of mind to me, but that's your choice.
Just by the fact that a "D" is painted, doesn't necessarily make it "less"
of a Delorean. I know that there are a lot of "bondo" jobs out there, but
isn't that possible on any make? It takes a lot of work to paint a "D" and
have it come out looking good. Mine is another of those "painted by the
dealer" cars, no records, no proof, no way to know, just hand-me-down
owner's stories. The car is an undamaged, well maintained car, that gets
alot of attention. That's all that matters. If we were truly interested in
"investment" value, I don't think this car would be an investor's top
choice. The prices in the last 7-8 years seems to have been pretty stable.
At least we aren't losing money! Anyway, let's not execute anyone just yet!
Let's just enjoy the fact that we all like this type of car and are
individual enough to have our own tastes. Aren't sports cars supposed to be
"red" anyways? Jeff.

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/dmcnews