Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 10:26:01 -0500
From: Geoffroy Birtz <gbirtz@xxxxxx>
Subject: DML: RE: Rear side windows

> I'm having a little problem with my rear side windows fogging up (due
> the engine heat I'm assuming..)

I'm confused, heat doesn't usually cause fogging, it clears it !
where's the humidity coming from ?

------------------------------

Date: 02 Apr 98 10:43:07 -0500
From: MCCOMBC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: DML: CHECK VALVE

Does anyone know a cross reference part number for the fuel pump check
valve=

(threaded brass part that is on top of fuel pump on later cars). VW part
#
810906093 was listed in one of the X-reference lists but the vw parts man
says
this is not a valid part #. Any clues.

Thanks,

Cliff McComb #11546

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 20:30:15 +0100
From: The DMC-12 <msg101@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: DML: Facia paint

Dave Price wrote:

> I'd be interested to know how it turns out (if you decide to have him use
> a different color). I think the factory paint is a little hokey because
> it's
> similar but not very close... Either you get it dead-on (which is
> difficult
> because of the nature and appearance of SS)

The one thing I really wanted to find out when seeing a DeLorean "in the
flesh" after months of gradually increasing obsession, was WHAT COLOUR ARE
THE FASCIAS???!!!??!?! It truly wasn't clear from all the myriad of pics I
had found on the internet.

Apon seeing the car in bright artificial light, something became obvious.
The
contrast you see in pictures always depends on what angle the car is at to
the light. I demonstrated this to someone at the Car show in Birmingham
when
he asked whether the paint had faded. First, I pointed out that both cars
we
had there (both in VGC) had exactly the same colour fascias, and then got
him
to look at them from the other end of the car. At that angle, the fascias
were darker than the SS. He made the comment then that the actual colour
was
probably "a good compromise". I tend to agree.

> or you do something
> drastically different (flat black, etc.).  I'm sure most of you have seen
> the Delorean poster with the nicely dessed couple in the background
> and a prototype (sliding windows) Delorean pictured...

The pic you are referring to has the production model in it - I have a
very
high definition scan of it if you (or indeed anyone) would like. If you
mean
the one of the original promo brochre (I have that, too), I would agree,
but
again, it really depends on the angle the photograph was taken.

Martin

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 14:26:32 -0800
From: "Ken Montgomery" <kenm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: Lowering the D and 'camber'

If you lower the car, doesn't that change the camber of the wheels? If
this isn't adjustable, what does it do to your tires? I would suspect
that the camber is wrong if you DON'T lower the car since I doubt they
designed the D to sit with it's nose so far up in the air. My car's
nose is as high in the air as I've ever seen. If you look on my web
site you'll see what I mean. I would like to take care of this but I
don't want to trash the tires.

Ken Montgomery    My DeLorean VIN #10911
Sacramento, CA
kenm@xxxxxxxx     "When the wind gets under these wings
Operating           You will feel what freedom brings"
Systems Analyst        From 'On-Air' Alan Parsons
(916) 278-7646
http://www.jps.net/arkham/delorean01.htm

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 20:57:22 -0500
From: John Murray <jwmurray@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: wheel color and facia color

Hi List,
    I just had the wheels refinished. Media blasted..$120. for all 4.
Repainted and clear coated $100 for all 4(friend of mine) For $220 I got
new looking wheels. Now for those center caps......

    The Jag Shop in Florida does all mechanical work on my DeLorean.
They always have 8 to 10 DeLoreans there. One of those DeLoreans has had
the front and rear facias painted to match the stainless. This car,
sitting next to all the others, looks funny. The original color looks
much better. I suggest going with the factory colors. Just my 2 cents.

John Murray
VIN #2390
FL Lic. 81DMC12

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 23:39:10 -0700
From: carnut1@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: DML: Rear side windows

HAVE YOU TRIED "RAIN X" THIS TENDS TO WORK WELL. YOU MIGHT ALSO LOOK TO
SEE IF YOU HAVE A STREAM OR STEAM LEAK FROM THE COOLANT HOSES?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:07:23 -0500
From: Aldo.Buono@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: DML: De Lorean Midatlantic Calendar of Events -- Spring 98

     April 26, Sunday, 1 - 5 PM
     Annual Door Adjustment Social and Safety Check
     Havertown, Pennsylvania

     It's that time of year again.  Time to dust off the D and check it
out. Ron
     Finelli, Past President of De Lorean Midatlantic, will host our
Annual Door
     Adjustment Social at his home in the western suburbs of
Philadelphia. Rob
     Grady will come down from his Long Island shop to perform safety
checks and
     whatever repairs can be done without a lift.  Call Rob at
800-350-7429
     prior to the meeting to discuss your needs and the practicality of
     performing the repair on Sunday.

     Your annual safety check should include an inspection of the
trailing arm
     bolts.  If they are bending, replace them.

     This event is complimentary to all members who renew their
memberships.
     Renewal information appears below.

     At 4 PM, we will hold a business meeting to elect officers and to
plan our
     schedule of events for the remainder of the year.

     RSVP: Ron Finelli, 610-449-0500.

     June 7, Sunday, 10 AM - 3 PM
     Red Mill British Car Day
     Clinton, New Jersey

     You must preregister by May 15. Info: Richard Miller, 908-713-6251.

     June 12, 13, 14
     EASTERN REGIONAL RUN 8
     Cincinnati, Ohio

     THE BIG EVENT OF THE YEAR.  PLAN TO BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     http://idt.net/~dmc1219
     KKoncelik@xxxxxxx   (Ken Koncelik)
     Voice: 513-398-2445

     June 28, Sunday, Noon - 3 PM
     Bowie British Car Day
     "The Original British Car Day -- Twenty-First Annual Meet"
     Allen Pond Park, Bowie, Maryland

     Pre-registration Deadline: June 1

     http://members.aol.com/MGTClub

     Voice: 703-323-1260

     September 20, Sunday
     Fourth Annual Transportation Show
     Mid-Atlantic Air Museum, Reading, Pennsylvania

     No competiton, just show.
     Registration and Info: 610-372-7333

     September 26, Saturday
     English Car Day at Graeme Park, Horsham, Pennsylvania

     Registration and Info: Mike Nitroy, 215-672-0613 or
                            Marty Snyder, 215-242-1719

     De Lorean Midatlantic is the independent De Lorean owners club of
the
     Middle Atlantic States, USA. It serves members in Pennsylvania,
     Central and Southern New Jersey, Delaware, Northern Maryland and
Long
     Island, New York, with members worldwide.   Benefits of membership
     include: annual complimentary door adjustment tech/social in the
     spring, annual complimentary safety inspection by Rob Grady of P. J.
     Grady, ****parts interchange list*** with lots of updates from your
     message conferencing on the De Lorean Mailing List, membership
     directory, newsletter, and social events.

     Annual Membership is $12.  Send check made out to "De Lorean Owners"
     to: Dick Lash, De Lorean Midatlantic Treasurer, 409 Lark Drive,
Newark,
     DE 19713.

     Aldo Buono, President
     aldo.buono@xxxxxxxxx
     DMC #14 Regional Editor
     VIN #1440
     V: 215-849-5160

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 08:36:27 -0800 (PST)
From: illyana delorean <illyanadmc@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: tucsonans?

okay, i dont remember if i have asked this question to the list yet or
not, but im going to have a go at it again! are any of you dml-ers
living in the tucson, az area? ive already met one list member who
lives in tucson, but i know that the dmc i keep seeing around town is
not his, because he is a recent owner and i have seen this particular
dmc for a while. anyone wanna write me back, great!

<-illyana->

p.s. this is my new address. if you wanna write to me, please do at
this address. my old one is not defunct, i just hardly ever check it!

p.s.s. do most of you delorean owners have personalized license
plates? if so, do they read "DMC 12"? if i had a delorean, id have my
plate say "DMC XII". it looks neat and, besides, someone in az already
has "DMC 12".

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 09:41:53 -0800
From: Dave Price <davep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: DML: RE: Rear side windows

>> I'm having a little problem with my rear side windows fogging up (due
>> the engine heat I'm assuming..)
>>
>I'm confused, heat doesn't usually cause fogging, it clears it !
>where's the humidity coming from ?

Heh.. Confusing to me too.. it may be some sort of condensation from it
being cold outside, and warm above the engine ?? (I'm just throwing out
guesses...)  No one else has this problem?  My car must be cursed!! hehe..

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 09:41:53 -0800
From: Dave Price <davep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: DML: wheel color and facia color

>    I just had the wheels refinished. Media blasted..$120. for all 4.
>Repainted and clear coated $100 for all 4(friend of mine) For $220 I got
>new looking wheels. Now for those center caps......

On the same topic.. My silver painted wheels are chipping and
flaking, so last night I got out some sand paper and started
scrubbing the paint off. All I can is WOW!  I was looking at
buying new wheels until I saw how beautiful the ones I have
are without the paint!!  Needless to say I'm not going to spend
the rest of my life sanding the paint off each spoke individually,
so I was going to ask if anyone knew of a good way (chemical)
to strip off the paint?

>One of those DeLoreans has had the front and rear facias painted to match the
>stainless. This car, sitting next to all the others, looks funny. The
original color
>looks much better. I suggest going with the factory colors. Just my 2 cents.

Really?  Did it just look funny next to a whole bunch of
the originals? (black sheep effect).  Or was it just too
weird for it to be the same hue without the shininess
properties of the rest of the car?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 15:13:19 EST
From: JAlbin <JAlbin@xxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: headlight problem

my car has developed a very strange headlight problem:

set to low beams, only the driver's side low comes on and it is weak
set to high beams the driver's side low goes off and the other three come
on

I tried swithching the two light relays near the fuse box ... no luck?
any ideas?

jim albin is jalbin@xxxxxxx

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 15:46:47 +0500
From: J <sundiver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> >> I'm having a little problem with my rear side windows fogging up (due
> >> the engine heat I'm assuming..)
> >>
> >I'm confused, heat doesn't usually cause fogging, it clears it !
> >where's the humidity coming from ?
> >
> Heh.. Confusing to me too.. it may be some sort of condensation from it
> being cold outside, and warm above the engine ?? (I'm just throwing out
> guesses...)  No one else has this problem?  My car must be cursed!! hehe..

Happens to my car all the time.

Though, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I have a coolant leak
under the intake manifold (I plan on replacing all the cooling hoses in
a week, so I haven't bothered yet to pull the intake manifold and take a
look). I guess the fog on the rear windows could be from when hot air
from the engine (humid from the evaporating coolant) hits the colder
windows.

- - J

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 15:54:41 -0600
From: steve r <stephenr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: Solar Cell for Battery

    I have looked a little further into the matter regarding how to
maintain your battery's power.  These solar cells are of very high
quality and I am sure they would do very well keeping your battery at
its peak power.
    The waterproof solar panels would do a very good job.  Part #113
sells for $29 and is a 12 volt 60 mA (1 Watt). Its size is 7" x 6".
Part #114 is the same but its 120 mA (2 Watt) and it sells for $49.  It
is 13" x 6".
    They have anothr product and it may do a very good job.  It is part
#104 and is called the Auto battery charger.  It is not weather proof
and you can only set it in the dashboard of your car.  This may be a
problem because there is not much space to lay things around in a
delorean.  Its measurements are 5x7 inches.  The cost is $44.  This
product plugs directly into your cigarett lighter and has an output of
40 mA.
    I strongly reccomend trying a weather proof solar cell if you have
problems with your battery losing power.  If I had a delorean that i
would be using with a solar cell i would get the weather proof one and i
would run the power wires directly into the battery.  Then i would try
using something like velcro to mount the solar cell somewhere on the
rear lovuer (did i spell it right?)
    Oh i almost forgot, if you do decide you want to check out there
solar cells there number is 1-800-807-8649.  Ask for there free catalog
if you don't want to jump directly into buisness with them.  I hope this
info helps you guys out.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 15:06:32 -0800
From: "lseiler@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <lseiler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: DML: Lowering the D and 'camber'

At 02:26 PM 4/2/98 -0800, you wrote:

>If you lower the car, doesn't that change the camber of the wheels? If
>this isn't adjustable, what does it do to your tires? I would suspect
>that the camber is wrong if you DON'T lower the car since I doubt they
>designed the D to sit with it's nose so far up in the air. My car's
>nose is as high in the air as I've ever seen. If you look on my web
>site you'll see what I mean. I would like to take care of this but I
>don't want to trash the tires.

reply:  ken get your nose out of the air!

        My question is can you just get the front spring kit and install that? I
don't want to lower my D just pull the nose down so the unloaded profile
has an even clear space around the wheel.

        Common sense tells me that if the rear wheel space around the tire is
equal what ever it is and to lower the front by what ever means that the
whole car will rotate about the center line of the effective center of
the wheel hubs.

        Does any one know if this is so and if the cut switch but other spring
stuff is required?

        Some where in my memory I seem to recall years ago reading about
"lowering blocks. These were some kind of bolt on device that would allow
for the compression and locking the springs to lower a car? If this is
correct why not get them for the D? it would save a lot of effort and
expense!

Thanks

Lee
VIN#5729
Lic:81DMC12

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 17:39:29 -0800
From: "tomcio" <tomcio@xxxxxxxxxx>

>Some where in my memory I seem to recall years ago reading about
>"lowering blocks. These were some kind of bolt on device that would
allow
>for the compression and locking the springs to lower a car? If this
is
>correct why not get them for the D? it would save a lot of effort
and
>expense!
>
>Thanks
>

>Lee
>VIN#5729
>Lic:81DMC12

Hi,
You can call JC Whitney at (312)431-6102 (They don't have a toll free
number) or go to www.jcwhitneyusa.com and just ask them for their
catalog. They sell those spring compressing kits. I don't know their
price, but I'm sure they can help you. Good luck.
Tom