Re: [DMCForum] More on the Scientific Method

Re: [DMCForum] More on the Scientific Method

Yeah, with my morning coffee.  The crazy people here start work at like
5am.  Screw that, I don't come in until at least 8.

Add possibility #3.  You mentioned the the fuel was disconnected.  It's
possible you were fuel flooding.  BTW, you don't necessarily have to
disconnect the fuel... just trip the inertia switch, and that will shut
off the pump.

Bear in mind that a Model T (or any car before the 1940's for that matter)
ran just fine on like 6:1 compression.  The PRV should at least run (not
under load) even on a fairly low compression.  100 psi should be plenty to
at least start the car, even with a weakish spark.

So, to test #'s 1, 2 & 3.

1)  Use a teaspoon of 90W oil in each cylinder, or half a teaspoon of STP.
That will increase the sealing power of the rings for a minute or so of
running, but is going to burn and stink and possible foul the plugs again.
My guess is this isn't the problem though.

2)  Spark weak?  Try a different coil.  Volatility of ether?  Try "running
from the can" -- goose it with short little shots of ether to keep it
running.  Just shoot it down the metering plate throat... it'll get there
okay.  If it runs from the can, then you're likely looking at a fuel
problem.  What does your fuel pressure / control pressure look like?  Do
you have a gauge?  I can send you mine if you need it.

3)  Try running from the can.  Ether works very well, as it can often make
even a flooded engine start.  I use ether as The Great Determiner.  If the
car runs on ether but not with the regular fuel system, I determine it to
be a fuel system problem.   With the K-Jet, the problem would either be
too rich, or too lean.  A pressure tester would really help to see what's
going on here.  To test too rich, force it to lean out: try disconnecting
the electrical plug from the cold start injector, pulling it from it's
perch, taping the hole, and putting it in a jar while starting -- that
will thin out the gas mixture on startup (with a shot of ether as a
start-helper).  If it -is- flooding, my guess is it's likely from there,
but it could be from other places.  Also, don't write off that there may
be a major vacuum leak.  A big vacuum leak can "emulate" a fuel problem by
leaning out the mixture dramatically.  What is your vacuum while cranking?
Offhand, I'd think you should be able to pull maybe 5-10 inHg, depending
on cranking speed.  You should pull 15-20 when it's running at idle.  The
small port on the upper driver's back of the manifold is a good place to T
in a gauge.  A vacuum test can tell you a few things.
(http://www.ifsja.org/tech/motors/vacuum.shtml)

You've had the injectors cleaned and checked, or just cleaned?  A bad
(even a 'clean bad') injector that opens too soon can steal fuel away from
all of the others, flooding one cyl. while starving the others.

Also to test too lean... Can you hear the fuel spraying if you push down
the metering plate down 1/4"?  1/2"?  3/4"?  If your fuel pressure is too
low, it won't open the injectors at the right time.

-Dave