[DMCForum] Re: More on the Scientific Method

[DMCForum] Re: More on the Scientific Method

5 am? Ick. :)

Hm. How could I fuel flood with no fuel? I uh...don't -have- an
inertia switch. The P.O. removed it and spliced the wires together.
(On my replacement list). I know the fuel pump runs. I've tested all
that.

I stop the fuel pump from running by yanking the RPM relay.

1) I used Marvel Mystery Oil to increase the compression. It seemed
to lose the will to live after either the oil, or the ether burned
away.

2) After the oil burned away, the engine started to squeak again, and
the starter slowed down. No matter how much ether I gave it, it
wouldn't run again. It farted and sputtered but that was it.

3) I agree, everyone told me to eliminate a fuel problem by making it
run from starter fluid. It won't run from the can so I can eliminate
a fuel problem.

Since it won't run from the can, that leaves compression, or spark or
both. For instance, if perhaps I had stronger spark, the weaker
compression could be overcome. Or did I overcome weak spark, by
increasing compression, and using fuel that burns -way- better than
gas?

I guess all I can do, it heat up the spark and try again. If it still
won't run, then I guess I'm looking at compression. I agree with you
though, I have almost the right compression when COLD, 100-120 and
the manual says 114-156 when HOT so I should be ok.

I'm praying it's spark.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand@xxxx>
wrote:
> Yeah, with my morning coffee.  The crazy people here start work at
like 5am.  Screw that, I don't come in until at least 8.

> Add possibility #3.  You mentioned the the fuel was disconnected.
It's possible you were fuel flooding.  BTW, you don't necessarily
have to disconnect the fuel... just trip the inertia switch, and that
will shut off the pump.

> Bear in mind that a Model T (or any car before the 1940's for that
matter) ran just fine on like 6:1 compression.  The PRV should at
least run (not under load) even on a fairly low compression.  100 psi
should be plenty to at least start the car, even with a weakish spark.

> So, to test #'s 1, 2 & 3.
>
> 1)  Use a teaspoon of 90W oil in each cylinder, or half a teaspoon
of STP.  That will increase the sealing power of the rings for a
minute or so of running, but is going to burn and stink and possible
foul the plugs again.  My guess is this isn't the problem though.

> 2)  Spark weak?  Try a different coil.  Volatility of ether?
Try "running from the can" -- goose it with short little shots of
ether to keep it running.  Just shoot it down the metering plate
throat... it'll get there okay.  If it runs from the can, then you're
likely looking at a fuel problem.  What does your fuel pressure /
control pressure look like?  Do you have a gauge?  I can send you
mine if you need it.

> 3)  Try running from the can.  Ether works very well, as it can
often make even a flooded engine start.  I use ether as The Great
Determiner.  If the car runs on ether but not with the regular fuel
system, I determine it to be a fuel system problem.   With the K-Jet,
the problem would either be too rich, or too lean.  A pressure tester
would really help to see what's going on here.  To test too rich,
force it to lean out: try disconnecting the electrical plug from the
cold start injector, pulling it from it's perch, taping the hole, and
putting it in a jar while starting -- that will thin out the gas
mixture on startup (with a shot of ether as a start-helper).  If it -
is- flooding, my guess is it's likely from there, but it could be
from other places.  Also, don't write off that there may be a major
vacuum leak.  A big vacuum leak can "emulate" a fuel problem by
leaning out the mixture dramatically.  What is your vacuum while
cranking?  Offhand, I'd think you should be able to pull maybe 5-10
inHg, depending on cranking speed.  You should pull 15-20 when it's
running at idle.  The small port on the upper driver's back of the
manifold is a good place to T in a gauge.  A vacuum test can tell you
a few things. (http://www.ifsja.org/tech/motors/vacuum.shtml)

> You've had the injectors cleaned and checked, or just cleaned?  A
bad (even a 'clean bad') injector that opens too soon can steal fuel
away from all of the others, flooding one cyl. while starving the
others.

> Also to test too lean... Can you hear the fuel spraying if you push
down the metering plate down 1/4"?  1/2"?  3/4"?  If your fuel
pressure is too low, it won't open the injectors at the right time.

> -Dave

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595053/R=0/SIG=124mh1h7k/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3656190&yhad=1595053> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595053/rand=602539525>