[DMCForum] Please Re-read Message #7126

And for those who apparently look at headers only I'll copy over an
rather important piece of text that EVERYONE failed to notice:

"No one ever told me they made a high compresion PRV. Only recently
been reading in depth about Douvrin. Was suspicious even before this
trip (Volvo's B280 is 9.5:1, even fire -- I want one of those).
Brought R42 plugs as spares rather than R44's. Swapped in a
Fayetteville parking lot (HR9's were a joke. Came out cleaner than
new). Burned 93 octane to NJ on a hunch. Rob Grady just confirmed."

My engine is 9.5:1, 170-175 PSI per cylinder. Of course didn't know
until recently (everybody putting Martin on a pedestal may want to
note he didn't breathe a word about not being 8.8:1 when I gave him
engine code). THAT'S why I was trying to burn 89 octane. Thought we
were all on the same page.

So, what do you suppose happened when I tried to burn low octane at 10
degrees? It pre-ignited. Imagine that! Just like my *HIGH COMPRESSION*
460 on 93 (am I the ONLY person here who notices I have openly stated
about 1000 times THAT engine is 11:1?).

So, what did I do? I moved spark closer to bottom/farther from top to
stop fuel combusting on its own. How did that work? Killed horsepower.
Did I say as much? Yes, in very next sentence apparently no one
bothered to read:

"Have timed the ever living mess out of my engine. Back to 10, then
start predetonating. Up to 13 and lose power. Back and forth."

I 100% guarantee that in my 9.5:1 PRV, burning 89 octane fuel,
retarding spark is NOT going to improve predetonation. Think about it
fly-off-the-handle boys: if it's already pre-igniting at 10 degress,
what in the world do you think it's going to do at 8?

*NOW* that I know what's in back of my car (anyone notice I gave
engine code to Martin 6 paragraphs up?), know how to deal with it.
Only ran compression test when I got scared about warped valves after
SEDOC. (Ordinarily don't run compression test on 14K-16K engine.
Besides, had to borrow a gauge at that time).

Quick primer for low compressioners:
Cool plugs
High octane
Electronic HEI

Which low and behold, I did to/from Fall Foliage. And was it sweet?
Damn straight. Not as sweet as an 11:1 460 mind you, but worlds better
than I had been struggling with. What a coincidence: isn't that
EXACTLY what I said in Message #7126?

Now if y'all excuse me I have to go to work. Was going to drive one of
the Lincolns but may switch DeLo back out just to put a few more miles
(1,340 trouble free this weekend at speeds that occassionally pegged
still functioning repaired speedo) on that crappy engine before my
misguided tune-up blows up altogether...

Geez.

Bill Robertson

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.4074964.5287182.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1754016/R=0/SIG=11pv1u2ju/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=