[DMCForum] Re: Eliminating pre-ignition -- the last word

[DMCForum] Re: Eliminating pre-ignition -- the last word

Initially, I was able to get one lug nut off normally, leaving 3
(2.5). I put that one back on, had mostly drilled out the sheared off
one, so I had 3.5 basically. Remember my pad material was worn away.
I was braking with the steel backing against the disc. Fortunately it
wasn't doing it for long and the disc was salvagable. I had the guy
turn it down smooth and it's good as new.

The welder didn't want to run the risk of introducing air or
contaminants into the brake system so he didn't want to pull the
wheel off with the disc and caliper. He just drilled through the
front the long way.

It's one thing to say "drill a pilot hole and increase the bit size"
on line, also "slow speed and high pressure" but it's another thing
to watch the technique. Now that I've seen how it's done I have a
better understanding of how to do it myself. I'm sure I'll have a
simliar problem on other hardware in the future.

He drilled a -very- small pilot hole, -very- slowly. I tried to start
out too large, and jump up too many sizes and I had my drill turning
way to fast.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> > Oh BTW, I limped my car over to my welder guy to get the studs
> drilled out so I could get the wheel off.
>
> Rich, care to define "limp"?  You mean that you drove your car with
2.5 lug
> nuts holding the wheel on?
>
> And I was curious to see if you could remove the wheel with the hub
> attached.  I'm not sure if you could have gotten the brake caliper
far
> enough out of the way.
>
> Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.4074964.5287182.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512