[doc] Re: Car Alarm...

Hi John,

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, John Tien <johntien99@xxxx> wrote:
> BTW, is it a good or bad idea to connect a small 12V
> battery using parallel connection to the car alarm to
> retain it's memory while I cut the car battery

I actually did this on the stereo in my Nissan a couple of weeks ago!
Setting all settings (I have a very feature-rich system) every time
I got my car back from the shop got to be REALLY annoying.

Be sure to use a Lead-Acid type battery (I used a 2.2Ah backup
battery for a home alarm system) and put a heavy diode between
the main battery and the backup with the Cathode pointing to
your backup. Then connect the main power for the alarm to
the positive post on the backup battery.

This way the alternator can charge the backup battery (that's
why it needs to be Lead-Acid; zo you don't need extra electronics
for charging) and the backup provides power to the alarm when
you disconnect the main battery.

You could run the continuous feed for the radio and the clock
that way too. At a couple of milliamps (lets say 5) the battery
should keep your memories for at least a week or so...

About the system not getting wet up front; don't drive through
puddles! Else it WILL get VERY wet very fast! And as for tapping
into the LH side door switch; this only "protects" THAT door!
If you tap into the system at the interior light (or at the bundle
of diodes near the accelerator pedal) onto the purple wire with
white stripe you'll monitor BOTH doors...

Good luck,

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...
Living the Dream...   Driving a DeLorean...
Shifting Expectations...   Driving a Nissan...

DMC-12 "Dagger" since Sep. 2000
100NX "Saphire" since Nov. 2002

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk