FW: Re DOC 4 Belfast...long.

I try and reflect my DOC UK members wishes, I am not interested in
controversy or confrontations and would urge my members to bite their
tongues and follow suit.

However, if I am going to move this suggestion forward, it would be nice to
know the likely level of support, before we get too far down the line.

My thoughts are:-

A low cost, short duration meet in Northern Ireland, primarily to enable
members to drive / ride around the test track.

There would be no expensive helicopter rides or posh hotels. (unless people
choose them)

Not all members have sufficient funds or time to enable them to go flying
off to various parts of the world to join glamorous international events. In
any case, owner-drivers would almost always be "DeLorean-less" at such
events.

My personal favoured way to travel to N.I. is the overnight ferry crossing
from Liverpool, where you drive on the boat at tea time, have a nice meal in
the resultant ( included in the ticket price) a few drinks and off to bed
around 11ish. Up early next morning and a full breakfast ( included in the
price) just before the ship docks. Arrive about 08.30ish. Nice drive
around Belfast and eventually ending up at the test track at say mid
morning. But you could pick other routes/ times if you wished. All would, in
any case be booked individually. But I would of course try and get some sort
of group concession.

A properly organised low speed drive around the track, hopefully taking
none-car owning DOC members as passengers. Until we have all had our fill,
say mid-afternoon.

For the economy minded, that could be it, followed by some driving around
the NI countryside or Belfast and re-join the boat early evening.

Or back a B&B or hotel, in small groups, all independently booked from some
suggested lists. The next day could be a leisurely drive up the Ulster Folk
and Transport Museum, where we would all pay independently to view the
pro-types etc. The car park is huge and we could have a good photo
opportunity.

Again, that could be it for some, drive off back, eventually to the ferry.
Others may choose to extend their stay for another day or two and do some
proper sight seeing. I have been to Belfast numerous times and find the
countryside and residents to be quite charming....especially if you happen
to driving a DeLorean!

A club member has recently done, as part of his work, a detailed "risk
assessment" and detailed plans for "test track type driving" , which he
personally implemented and organised for a major car maker. And yesterday
volunteered to share his knowledge and documented routines with us. A small
charged would be paid by each car participating in the test track part, this
would go towards the insurance cost. The club would pay the remainder (if
any).

Although this is primarily aimed at UK DOC members, we now have a good few
members in all parts of the world, including the USA. Because of this,
Yesterday I took the opportunity to seek James Espey's advice, as to when
would be good for our American cousins, should they want to attend. Although
"Pigeon Forge" is happening in June, James thought that late May would be
best. Certainly the weather has traditionally been good in NI around this
time.

I've tried to ensure that this, in way seeks to take anything away from the
much more elaborate "Euro-fest" event, that is now happening 2 years later,
that incidentally, up till today, had not been a firm commitment.

If any member thinks he would like to attend, perhaps he could email me,
either privately or through the list. Also mention if you are taking your
DeLorean.

None DeLorean owners could of course go in their everyday transport and
follow the convoys.

Your ( Current) secretary. Chris Parnham