Re: [doc] Re: "new" new cars

Mike Green wrote:

> I really did get screwed over, for instance one weekend I must have
> spent a good £200+ on it when the carb needed a complete strip down
> and clean out and then on the way home the alternator packed up, fixed
> by our friendly RAC man for just £120!

As a point of interest, our workshop in Southend is not exclusively
DeLoreans - Andy divides his time between D's and "regular" work. This
sort of thing is his bread and butter but that's a lot of money for
whats involved!

> I wouldnt touch a peugeot, parts for those are mega money compared to
> ford. Never had a citroen..

Parts are even worse...... but in both cases pattern parts are really
easy to find

> I had considered a xantia but do I want to
> go for a car older thatn I already have.

The Xantia is a wonderful car but they only really ironed the bugs out
of the hydraulics in the last couple of years of production, then went
and changed it all in the C5. But then again my Xantia's got me stumped
because I need an ECU reader blah blah blah. Give me a DeLorean anyway,
but I'm getting more and more intrigued at how long this BX of mine will
last. I've done nearly 1000 miles in a week since buying it for £100 and
apart from the exhaust and a couple of bulbs (PO couldn't be bothered),
it's absolutely fine. 169000 and counting...

> The garage told me my car in its current condition has a part ex value
> of £800 which means absolutely bugger all as I'm sure they say that to
> everybody, in fact I've known garages suggest "do you have a car to
> part ex" "no" "ok now you do, robin reliant".. its rubbish.

Stick it on ebay!

> Having done some work on my accent in the past, it isnt quite all
> computer controlled like other cars, not like the Golfs that are one
> solid block under the bonnet with a flap for the fluid levels.  Maybe
> I'll just go for a newer version with a few more mod cons (with cons
> being the oerative word!)

Have a look at a 24v Vauxhall Carlton GSi 3000 - the money you save
buying it you can spend on petrol, and you won't half have fun doing it!
You should be able to find one  with all the right knobs, and they're
incredibly reliable, huge and comfy, and worth about £2000 for an
absolutely pukka one.

Martin

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk