dmcnews-digest V3 #344

Title: dmcnews-digest V3 #344

dmcnews-digest         Friday, March 27 1998         Volume 03 : Number 344

       In this issue:
        Re: DML: headlights/transmission
        DML: Lawrenceburg Kentucky
        RE: DML: NEW #2219
        Re: DML:  Blue-Yellow Wire?????
        Re: DML: DMC Font & R406-a
        DML: Door lock fix
        Re: DML: Car will not idle
        DML:  Wiring Short??
        DML: Body Removal
        DML: More DMC stuff for sale!!!!
        DML: DMC Plates
        Re: DML:  Blue-Yellow Wire?????
        DML: Year, VIN & alternator differences (was: VIN numbers)
        DML: Re: Flushing the fuel system
        DML: Re: Lowering the front only
        Re: DML: Door lock fix
        DML: Charles Major
        DML: Do All DMCs have these holes?
        DML: Re: Transmission/Headlamps
        DML: Delorean-specific engine parts..
        Re: DML: Lowering the front only
        DML: Re: Body Removal
        Re: DML: Do All DMCs have these holes?
        Re: DML: Re: Transmission/Headlamps
        Re: DML: Do All DMCs have these holes?
        Re: DML: Do All DMCs have these holes?
        DML: DMC meets PA
        DML: Cincinnati Car Show Update
        Re: DML: Lowering the front only
        DML: Insurance
        Re: DML: DMC Plates
        DML: A-Pillar molding
        Re: DML: VIN numbers
        DML: License Plates
        DML: RE: Insurance
        Re: DML: Insurance
        Re: DML: Insurance
        Re: DML: DMC meets PA
        DML: Re: Insurance

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 13:27:31 -0800
From: Dave Price <davep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: DML: headlights/transmission

>My automatic transmission is losing its mind.  Without a change in load or
>gas pedal the thing decides to shift from 3rd to 2nd at 70MPH.  Yeah,
>yeah,
>replace the governor.  I'm currently in the process of trying to convince
>myself that it could be a bad shift solenoid or multiple switch mechanism.
>I say this because I had no problem in 400 miles before when weather was
>good.  Now it's wet and the thing does this.  Putting the tranny in the 2
>position works+ADs- it stays in 1st or 2nd.  It also never shifts from
>3rd to
>1st unexpectedly and for that I thank it.  The 1 position seemed to work
>before, but now the car sometimes stays in 2nd without downshifting.
>Maybe
>I'll have the car exorcised.

Sounds just like what happened to me.  I put about 200 miles on #16228 and
it started to exhibit unusual activity:
a) If I put it into 1st, it would start in 1st, but shift into 2nd.
b) If I put it into Drive, it would start in 3rd (or 2nd) (never shift
into
1st) until it
warmed up, then it would operate normally.
c) From a dead stop, no matter where I put the stick (R/D/2/1) it would
start
out in neutral and "slip" in and out of gear until I got moving (~15mph).
d) It would shift to the next lower gear, or just shift into neutral while
driving.

After a couple of days of item D, it just stopped driving all together. I
had my
local transmission shop look at it, and the gears had been stripped
(probably
due to the transmission freaking out) which only cost me $2200 to have
fixed
(If you can repair transmissions, you could probably save $1200 or so).
After
it was fixed, they did find that the governor was the culprit, bringing my
total to $2700.

If the transmission itself hasn't already been damaged, it would be wise
replace the computer.  But I'd have a shop take a look in your ATF pan to
see if there is debris. If so, you're probably looking at the same
situation as
me. If you continue to drive it without fixing it, you could be looking at
a new transmission which will cost you $4375 + labor.

Good luck to you, I hope it's not serious!

Dave