Re: [DMCForum] Re: New Handbrake Controversy

Re: [DMCForum] Re: New Handbrake Controversy

Greg:

timnagin wrote:
> WARNING:  Walt-sized post...

How big is Walt again? *ducks*

> One of the things I do when I buy a new vehicle is find a large, open
> parking lot and see how the vehicle responds to things like sudden
turns,
> sudden braking, braking in a turn, etc.  If part of the lot is wet then
even
> better. Several of my friends thought I was nuts doing that, but I
learned
> how the vehicle responded so I was better able to handle that vehicle in
an
> emergency.  I have also never had an at-fault accident.  It's like Gary
> said, learn how to learn.

That's a great idea. I should have done that in the Duster, but I just
learned about that as I went along. In the truck, I'd be afraid to roll
over if I tried anything wacky. However, I have always wanted to know
how to do the cool parallel parking manoeuvre in "The Blues Brothers"
where the guy slams on his brakes and spins into the kerb in front of
the restaurant. Hmm. I might try that if I ever get my hands on a 74
Dodge Monaco. Ha!!! But in the meantime, I'm content with my clean
driving record - not one ticket or at-fault accident in five years as a
fully-licensed driver. So far, so good.

*awaits gloating from guys who have driven longer than I've been alive*

*starts 5th cup of coffee*

> A quick story about this is about a friend and I street racing.  His car
was
> actually a little faster and handled a little better than mine.  I beat
him
> every time we raced.  One of the things we would do is go completely
across
> town and see who could get to the destination first, not necessarily
taking
> the same route.  I always won.  Even though his car was faster he
thought
> there was something special about my car so we switched cars.  I still
beat
> him.

Congrats. Makes me wish I still drove a CAR. LOL

> If you learn how your vehicle reacts you will be in a much better
position
> to handle it in an emergency.  Provided you can also keep yourself from
> panicking, which will greatly reduce your chances even more.  As far as
your
> truck is concerned, you can hold the release handle out with your left
hand
> and freely move the pedal with your foot to apply pressure in a
controlled
> manner and release it at will.  An old 'stunt-driver' trick is to use
> several rubber bands, or some string or whatever you want, attach it to
the
> release handle, and the other end to something like your head light
switch.
> This keeps the pedal free to move all you want, and let you do the
> brake-slides around corners, or scare the shit out of some tailgater ;)
It
> is really fun to learn how to spin the vehicle around, switch into
reverse,
> and keep going in the same direction.  I freaked a few people out that
way.
> As always, use at your own risk.

I don't panic easily, for some reason. I sleep through hurricanes. These
two things may be related. Any psychiatrists out there wanna go for it?

Tailgaters? Yurgh. I usually just take my foot off of the gas pedal to
annoy tailgaters, but it seems now I have a new weapon ... Now, what's a
brake-slide? ;)

Farrar

--
Farrar Hudkins
Announcer/Producer

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12ckl4ij8/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egro
upweb/S=1705126215:HM/EXP=1070665739/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com
/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=468481209>