RE: [DMCForum] Re: Car Talk / accelerator versus gas pedal

RE: [DMCForum] Re: Car Talk / accelerator versus gas pedal

>What's the difference between the accelerator pedal and the gas pedal?
>I'm finding my knowledge of cars to be seriously lacking since no one
>told me they were different. Is this like the "emergency brake"/"hand
>brake"/"parking brake" thing?

I guess it's like saying ATM machine instead of ATM.  Walt stated it
better
as well.  If you were driving a vehicle with a diesel engine in it then it
would be really incorrect to say "gas pedal", or, "I need to stop and get
gas", no?

>I thought they said that the engine might blow up if you put it in
>Neutral and it revved too high. But maybe I read it wrong. And I'm too
>lazy to re-read the column. However, this brings up a question about
>automatics: How likely is this to occur? I'd imagine it MIGHT be a
>problem if your THROTTLE stuck, but not the gas pedal, in which case I'd
>shift into neutral and stop the vehicle.

Most newer cars, at least the American cars I have tried this on, have a
rev-limiter.  The next time you are in a rental car with the engine
running
and the transmission in park or neutral, hold the accelerator to the floor
and see what happens.  The engine will rev-up and sound like it's
stuttering
but never go over a certain RPM.  That's the limiter kicking in.

Lifting the pedal from the floor with your toe would only help if the
pedal
itself is stuck to the floor.

>> If the car is an automatic, and even most manual transmissions as well,
you
>> can not lock the steering wheel by simply turning off the key.
>
>Isn't there a "lock" position? Which car was that, anyway?

I guess I didn't go into enough detail.  On more modern vehicles when you
turn the ignition key switch off, you can't remove the key until it is in
the locked position which means you have to shift the automatic into park,
or in a manual transmission, you have to depress a button or lever to let
the key rotate all the way.

Greg

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c30q33n/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egro
upweb/S=1705126215:HM/EXP=1070649936/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com
/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=466870404>