[DMCForum] Re: Car Talk / accelerator versus gas pedal

timnagin wrote:
> It pangs me to say this but I have to agree with Jim here.  I haven't
> listened to their program very much but the times I have I really
wondered
> from which orifice they pull those morsels of information.

Well, it's for entertainment, just like The O'Reilly Factor or the Tavis
Smiley Show. *ducks incoming flames* A lot of "Car Talk" is totally
tongue-in-cheek ... and it comes through in their writing as well. But
as with my sarcasm, it doesn't always translate well into print without
at least one emoticon. e.g., ;) Plus the guys have admitted many times
before on the air that they didn't know the answer to a question and
referred the caller to the dealer, which is farther than many talk-show
hosts I've heard will go to admitting a mistake. (Barring Rush
Limbaugh's drug-addiction admission, that is.)

> If your accelerator, not gas, pedal sticks, most of the time you can
merely
> slide your foot underneath and pull it up.  When you turn the key off to
> kill the engine you won't lose your power brakes immediately.

What's the difference between the accelerator pedal and the gas pedal?
I'm finding my knowledge of cars to be seriously lacking since no one
told me they were different. Is this like the "emergency brake"/"hand
brake"/"parking brake" thing?

> I would love to see an insurance agency pay for a new engine that blew
> because you turned the key off.  Hell, you better use a telephone pole
> stop the vehicle if you want that.

I thought they said that the engine might blow up if you put it in
Neutral and it revved too high. But maybe I read it wrong. And I'm too
lazy to re-read the column. However, this brings up a question about
automatics: How likely is this to occur? I'd imagine it MIGHT be a
problem if your THROTTLE stuck, but not the gas pedal, in which case I'd
shift into neutral and stop the vehicle.

No comments about turning a key on or off. I'll concentrate on women
instead. ;)

> If the car is an automatic, and even most manual transmissions as well,
you
> can not lock the steering wheel by simply turning off the key.

Isn't there a "lock" position? Which car was that, anyway?

Now I'm going to go out to my truck and see if the ignition has a "lock"
position. My automotive ignorance is waxing. And my coffee supply is
waning.

Farrar

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c2fn78r/M=267637.4116719.5338353.1261774/D=egro
upweb/S=1705126215:HM/EXP=1070646767/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com
/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116719> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116719.5338353.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=721148193>