[DMCForum] Re: paint stripper...

Greg

On the Yellow D project car many of you saw in Memphis, we used media
blasting to remove the 20 year old red paint to prepare for the
Millenium Corvette Yellow.  Our experience with media blasting was
excellant.  The shop recommended against the sand blasting because of
the excessive abrasion and extra heat generated.  When all was said
and done the car could have been easily regrained with a Scotch Brite
pad.  I have some pics I could send that show the T panel partially
regrained... had to force myself to stop because we knew we would be
painting it.

The media blasting will not hurt most plastic or rubber parts but it
may give them a frosted look.  Glass must be completely covered or it
will be frosted.

The clean up is not bad but remember those beads are extremely small
and get into every little nook and cranny.

Also keep in mind the media blasting, at least for us, would not work
on the facias.  It just bounces off.  Our shop ended up using a
product that the Corvette shops use to remove the paint from the
facia.  Sorry dont know the brand or name but Im sure a Vette
specific shop could point you in the right direction.

Ron
Gullwing Magazine

> I wouldn't be using sand as the media though.  There are some media
that
> will allow you to strip paint off fiberglass with damaging the
underlying
> 'glass.  I will probably take the door, since it is scrap anyway,
and see
> how that turns out before having it done on any other panels.
>
> Besides, with media blasting, there are less worries about removing
plastic
> trim, and the glue that holds the glass in; just tape it off.  If
it all
> works out then the bonus is no messy clean up from the Aircraft
> stripper...and no core samples.
>
> The entire car will have to be re-grained anyway.
>
> Greg

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1652963/R=0/SIG=11tvulr8i/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=6
0178275&partid=3170658> click here