Re: [DMCForum] Worst Case Scenario: The DeLorean Edition

Re: [DMCForum] Worst Case Scenario: The DeLorean Edition

> http://tg2.vantagep.com/Worst_Case_Scenario.pdf

Acrobat crashed my computer as expected when viewing stuff online.  I'm
working on a tech-page template that will have clickable thumbnails.  If
you
like, e-mail me some higher res versions of the photos and I'll get it all
plugged in and online.

> My engine
> is mighty dirty from the last oil change!

I bet you have a leaky oil pressure switch.  They all leak.  I replaced
mine
with a new one from PJ Grady, and now that one leaks too.  I think that
the
only cure is to goop up the inside with Permatex Form-a-gasket.

> At this point, my weakened muffler heat shield broke. The stress of the
> dangling muffler was just too much. Because of this, I was able to swing
the
> brackets down and free it from the cat. Cost of mistake: $75 (for new,
> improved PJ Grady heat shield)

I removed the heat shield before this could be a problem.  A nice cloud of
asbestos dust went everywhere.  I promised myself that if I touch another
heat shield I would spray it down with WD-40 to keep the cancer causing
particles under control.

The new PJ Grady heat shields are very brittle.  Make sure it stays flat
as
you bolt it in or else it will crack.  Or you can get a shield made of an
unusual stainless alloy made to reflect heat.  I have this for my car.
These are available from http://www.delorean-steel-products.com/
They also have a heat shield extension made to protect the lower a/c idler
pulley & belt.  This design was my idea because I noticed that mine was
getting cooked a lot faster than the alternator belt.

> The nut had rusted and actually fused itself to the bolt. No amount of
heat
> or oil would save it.

Did you heat it until it glowed red?  Most of mine unthreaded this way.
If
you get it hot enough you will have a puddle on the floor.  Even if they
break, as long as you still have something sticking out to grab then you
are
doing well so far.  Luckily I didn't have any sheer off even with the
block.

> After 2 more broke just like the first, I resigned myself to the fact
that
> this was not going to work out like I had planned. So, out came the
Dremel.
> I cut out all 6 nuts off the left side and went ahead and cut the two
off
> the right side.

Why did you cut them?  If they didn't unscrew for me then I just let them
break off.  There was always enough stud left to grab onto once the
manifold
was off.  I did use the dremel with a wire brush to clean the exposed
threads off hoping that the nuts would come off easier.  I'm wondering now
if it would be okay to wet the nuts with hydrochloric acid and follow up
with a little baking soda to keep it under control.  HCl eats rust to no
end.

> WORST CASE SCENARIO 3: STUCK CAT

I couldn't get the nuts holding the cat to unthread either.  I just
applied
brute force and let the studs shear off.

> This left me with the most amount of options
> (wink wink) and the smallest financial penalty. Cost of mistake:
$100-275

I have 2 cats laying around here.  I'll make you a deal on one if you
don't
opt for Ed Uding's pipe.

> To prepare for the delicate removal, I took out the cat heat shield.
It's
> held to the engine with 2 bolts. They come out very easily.

Your cat heat shield looks a lot better than the one I took out.  There
was
hardly anything left of it.

> The vibration
> shredded the honeycomb inside and now it sounds like a freakin' maraca.

I thought that those honeycombs were more resilient to vibration unless
yours was coming apart anyway.

To get the remaining studs out of the block, I suggest first running the
engine (oh yeah, loud!) to get the block hot.  Then use electrician's
component cooler to freeze and hopefully shrink the studs in relation to
the
expanded hot block.  For the studs that still had threads on them, I
double-nutted them and then shook them loose with a pneumatic wrench.
Well,
some came out this way.  The rest required a stud remover.

We should make DeLorean ownership like the Boy Scouts and have little
merit
badges for "exhaust system", "door adjustment", "steering column bushing",
etc.

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512