[DMCForum] Re: Worst Case Scenario: The DeLorean Edition

[DMCForum] Re: Worst Case Scenario: The DeLorean Edition

Yes indeedy. I just did all this. The crossover pipe studs were the
worst. They fused into my exhaust manifolds so bad, I had to
drill 'em out. I screwed that up (my aim wasn't true) so I ordered
some from Darryl Tinnerstet and they shall be here today!

I'm doing this in my driveway too. At least it's dry now.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin@xxxx> wrote:
> Try not to have a heart attack when you read this stuff!
>
> http://tg2.vantagep.com/Worst_Case_Scenario.pdf
>
> This file is 426K because I took lots and lots of pictures, as
promised.
> Enclosed below is just the text:

> Worst Case Scenario:
> DeLorean Exhaust Gaskets
>
> First off, I gotta give mad props to Martin Gutkowski (whose
original
> document got me brave enough to try this madcap procedure) and all
the boys
> at DMCForum.
>
> If you ever ask anyone about doing this procedure, 9 out of 10 will
say,
> "Leave it to a professional." Sage advice, but I'm too stupid to
listen. For
> all of you who want to give this a shot, I've documented everything
I went
> [...]
of what I
> was going to have to do to remove the manifolds. I took lots of
pictures
> just to make sure.
>
> This is the left side.
>
> This is the right side.
>
> Now that I had a good idea, I went on to...
>
> Step 2: Loosening the Muffler
>
> There are 2 lower mounting brackets along the bottom of the muffler
and a
> rubber bushing at the top near the coolant tank.
>
> Remove the bolts holding this bracket to the engine.
>
> In this picture, I have already removed the bolts securing the
bracket to
> the engine. While you're under here, take some time to clean up. My
engine
> is mighty dirty from the last oil change!
>
> After I unbolted it from the engine, I realized that if I unbolted
it from
> the muffler, I would have enough swing to remove the muffler before
> disconnecting the cat. Otherwise, if you choose to leave it
attached, you
> will have to wait until the cat is free to remove the muffler.

> Remove the 2 bolts above and below the rubber bushing and pull it
free. The
> muffler should now be loose, but still connected firmly to the cat.

> WORST CASE SCENARIO 1: BROKEN MUFFLER HEAT SHIELD
>
> At this point, my weakened muffler heat shield broke. The stress of
the
> dangling muffler was just too much. Because of this, I was able to
swing the
> brackets down and free it from the cat. Cost of mistake: $75 (for
new,
> improved PJ Grady heat shield)
>
> Step 3: Disconnecting the Crossover Pipe
>
> The crossover pipe is so named because it crosses over the top of
the
> transmission and connects the two exhaust manifolds to the cat.
>
> In order to gain proper access, I had to remove the drive axle from
the
> transmission. This step is not necessary but I got tired of
fighting with
> it. It's a simple procedure involving 6 bolts. Just remove them and
the axle
> will dangle out of the way.
>
> Next, I removed the oxygen sensor. You need it out of there to
access one of
> the bolts and to keep it from being damaged. Before you unscrew it,
follow
> the wire that connects to it through the wall and into the wheel
well.
> Disconnect it from there. Now you can remove it.

> WORST CASE SCENARIO 2: SHEARING BOLTS
>
> Now that I had easy access to everything, I joyfully went to
removing the
> first bolt. It was tight, so I tapped on it with a hammer. Then I
thought
> I'd try some penetrating oil. Soon the bolt began to turn. SNAP!
The head
> falls out and onto my chest. I take a good look at it and see the
culprit.
> The nut had rusted and actually fused itself to the bolt. No amount
of heat
> or oil would save it.
>
> After 2 more broke just like the first, I resigned myself to the
fact that
> this was not going to work out like I had planned. So, out came the
Dremel.
> I cut out all 6 nuts off the left side and went ahead and cut the
two off
> the right side.
>
> Whether you cut them out or you were lucky enough to get them to
unbolt, the
> crossover pipe would be free. If you haven't removed the muffler
already,
> you will have enough wiggle room to get it off now.
>
> Step 4: Removing the Catalytic Converter
>
> Normally, this would be easy (that is, if you got everything to
unbolt) but
> mine was so rusted that it was frozen in place. I tried drilling it
out but
> I couldn't get enough leverage. So, I gave up for the time being
and moved
> on to...
>
> Step 5: Removing the Manifold
>
> With the muffler off and the crossover pipe loose, I had enough
room to get
> the manifold off without removing the cat. Now that I know this, I
suppose I
> could have just left it alone, but there is a gasket in there and
if you
> want to replace it, the cat has to come off.
>
> By pushing the cat and crossover pipe as far back as it would go, I
had easy
> assess to the left side manifold. Earlier in I had started spraying
the nuts
> with penetrating oil. I kept them wet for 4 days before staring this
> procedure. Here's my results:
>
>  2 came off fine, 3 broke off, and one stud extracted with the nut
fused to
> it. Could it have been worse. Hell, I suppose all of them could
have broken!

> Step 4 Revisited: Removing the Catalytic Converter
>
> WORST CASE SCENARIO 3: STUCK CAT
>
> I decided that the cat had to come out. I needed the crossover pipe
to redo
> the manifold mounts and the cat had to be off in order to get the
pipe out.
> After much deliberation, I came to the following possibilities:
>
> 1.      Drop the transmission
> 2.      Cut the crossover pipe and buy a new one
> 3.      Cut the crossover pipe and have it re-welded
> 4.      Cut the catalytic converter
>
> I finally decided on step 4. This left me with the most amount of
options
> (wink wink) and the smallest financial penalty. Cost of mistake:
$100-275