[DMCForum] Re: Shock/Suspension Kit

I have PJ Gradys shock and spring kit in my car, with no problems,
and no squeeks! When did you get the shocks off him Walt? I got mine
around April 2002... The only problem as I remember was that I had a
bit of trouble getting the lower end of the front shocks to fit into
the lower control arm, the metal collars that came with it seemed to
be too wide, so I milled a bit of metal (very unprofessionally) off
each one, then it fitted fine, and I put the bolt through. But, I
couldn't believe the difference in handling, especially as the next
day I fitted new Yoko AVS's, it really was a different car.
John

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "twinenginedmc12
<twinenginedmc12@xxxx>" <twinenginedmc12@xxxx> wrote:
> HI Walt.
>
> I stand corrected.  Sorry for wasting your time with advice you'd
> already tried out.  I'm jazzed that I can finally post to this
list.
> My previous post was the first successful post I've made.
>
> I also would not tolerate a squeaky shock absorber.  That would
drive
> me mad.
>
> Rick
>
> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> > >  I doubt the squeaking is coming from the cylinder.
> >
> > Rick,
> >
> > When I first put the PJ Grady shocks on the car, I noticed all
the
> squeaking
> > but assumed it was the bushings or maybe the way the fiberglass
> underbody
> > could shift on the frame.  A few weeks later I had one of the
rear
> shocks
> > fail, so Rob sent me a replacement set.  Before I put them on, I
> decided to
> > test them.  I put one end on the ground and leaned on the top
with
> all my
> > weight.  As it compressed, it sounded a lot like a dog's chew toy
> giving a
> > loud squeak.  All 4 rear shocks that I had at the moment sounded
> the same --
> > even the bad one.  I've had other DeLorean owners ride with me,
and
> they all
> > complain about the noise.  It's very distracting giving a
continual
> hamster
> > symphony while driving on most roads.  I complained to Rob, and
he
> countered
> > that there are enough other suspension noises in these cars that
> the added
> > noise from the shocks isn't much.  For me it is enough of a
> distraction that
> > I'm getting rid of them.  You will probably see them on eBay soon
> after I
> > finish installing the sound proofing materials and the new black
> carpeting.
> >
> > > Lubricating the shock bushings will probably get rid of that.
> >
> > I tried that with my second set of PJ Grady rears.  I even
> lubricated the
> > rubber bushing that isolates the spring from the frame.  But I
knew
> that
> > wasn't the problem the moment I put the car back down on the
> ground.  As the
> > shocks compressed, I heard them squeak in stereo.  For anyone who
> doesn't
> > believe a shock could make so much noise, I just crab the car by
> the rear
> > wheel well and shake it.  The noise really surprises people.
> >
> > As a side note, it's really rough driving with a bad shock.
Bumps