Re: [DMCForum] ac mode switch question

On 02-01-2003 13:23, John Dore <dmcjohn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> After reading backissues, it seems to be a bad ac mode switch,
> would you agree? Where is the ac mode switch and how do I get at it?

I agree. The ModeSwitch is the big knob in the middle of the panel,
below the radio. It consists of an electrical switch supplying power to
the blowermotor and the A/C compressor at the appropriate settings and
a bit that switches vacuum to the various flapper doors under the dash.

> Are there any other things I should check for?

I'm quite positive it's the modeswitch; the hissing you hear is
probably a vacuum leak. You wouldn't happen to have been messing
around behind the center console? If so, you probably knocked one
of the hoses loose, else the diaphram in the switch might be
worn. PJ Grady sells a rebuild kit for these...

> One other strange thing that happens is that if I have it on fan
> speed setting 4, sometimes the motor will vary speed all by itself,
> almost like an engine revving up and down, what is making it do
> this?????

If you still have the original Circuitbreakers this could be tripping,
causing the fan to alternate between speeds 2 and 4 as they are on
separate feeds. If on 4 with the original CB it could trip, opening
up the feed to speeds 3 and 4, so the fan gets its feed from speed 2
untill the CB cools down and restores power to the realays for speeds
3 and 4.

Hope this helps,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...