RE: Video WasRe: [DMCForum] Stuck in the doldrums....

RE: Video WasRe: [DMCForum] Stuck in the doldrums....

Chrysler had several turbine projects dating back all the way to 1954.
The biggest problem was exhaust heat.  They 1200+ degree temps had a
tendency to actually set asphalt on fire (although regenrators helped cut
the heat down to half that, paper near the exhaust -would- burst into
flame).  You have to run combustion turbines at high speeds (2,000 -
25,000+ RPM compared to lower-speed steam/air turbines) to get any kind of
torque or effeiciency from them, and at such speeds vibrations are a real
problem.  (http://www.turbinecar.com/turbine.htm ,
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/turbine.html)

Andrei -- as an FYI -- it will be damn near impossible for you to
fabricate the components you'll need for the turbine that can handle the
stress and the speeds, as well as maintaining precision weighting of each
individual blade to avoid vibration that will blow it apart.  Bear in mind
also that you'll have to plan for centripital lengthening and deformation
of the blades at those speeds, as well as with the heat and combustion
pressures.  You're also going to need to work with expensive, exotic
alloys to have success at these speeds.  If anything, you're probably
going to have to find a way to adapter impeller blades from a very small
jet, which are expensive, hard to find, and also only about 1/8 of the
length you'd need for a combustion turbine.  There's a reason you don't
see combustion turbines used very often.  I don't know of a single
consumer or industrial use for these engines.  Nonetheless, if you do end
up giving it a shot, I'd love to hear more about what worked and didn't
work for ya'!

A better, more workable solution was developed by a man named Lear, of
Lear Jet fame.  His Lear Vapordyne was a steam turbine using captive Freon
for steam.  He entered the Vapordyne in the Indy 500 in 1969, but was
banned because they could never figure out how to classify his
"displacement".  The real reason was, he could finish the entire race on
one tank of fuel -- and that fuel could be anything from vegetable oil to
diesel to alcohol.  (http://lear-archives.com/learmotors.htm ,
http://www.exford.co.uk/Steam/Latest.htm)

My thoughts on the matter, and to which I have done some amount of
research, is to make a hybrid turbine-electric.  Much like diesel-electric
locomotives generate electricity from Diesel turbines and then power the
wheels with electric motors (eliminating the need for comlex clutches and
gearing), I'd like to use a R-134a boiler/generator combo to power GM's
powerful electric truck motors -- basically electric forklift motors
modified for higher-speed usage.  At 50 lbs and 200 HP each direct drive,
they are oodles of power for the money and weight.  It would be -VERY-
easy to mount these motors directly to the rear axles, completely
eliminating the engine & transmission.  The boiler/generator combo would
actually only need to be about the size of two milk crates -- and would be
extremely light in comparison.

All of the items needed to do a conversion of this type are off-the-shelf
components.  I'd probably choose a CNG boiler for weight/emissions/value/
ease of use.  Remember this is a steam turbine and not a combustion
turbine -- there are plenty of these around.

But, since I haven't even gotten off of my butt in the last two months to
do anything to the car as-is, I doubt I would get to it anytime soon.

In any event, if handled properly by computer or mechanical controls,
steam provides an immense amount of motive power from very little energy.
Given the right conditions, you can run the boiler at only about 150
degrees and derive a huge amount of power -- immense energy from
temperatures where water wouldn't even boil.

-Dave
VIN #05927