Re: [doc] Cat replacement / Lambda-sensor

Re: [doc] Cat replacement / Lambda-sensor

The engine will breathe a bit more easily so you might get some popping from the exhaust as it'll be running slightly more lean, though int heory the lambda system should itself correct this, though its ability to adjust mixture is very limited.

The lambda system is essential if the exhaust has a cat, but you can run a lambda system without a cat - it's just a bit of a waste trying to control the emissions to that extent, but then not scrubbing the exhaust!!

Martin

Stian Birkeland wrote:

Thanks Martin -

So what you're saying is that I can simply swap the cat with a cross-
over pipe and leave the Lambda-sensor/Lambda-system on the car as it is without adjusting anything???

I've have always thought (obviously incorrect)that the Lambda-
sensor/Lambda-system/Catalytic converter interacted with each other, so for instance, if the cat was removed, an adjustment would be needed on the other Lambda-components.

To sum it all up - the Lambda-system will work as before regardless whether the motor is fitted with a catalytic converter or a cross-
over pipe, right?

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway