Re: [doc] Gauges and electrical gremlins

On 20-07-2003 17:35, jchapelhow wrote:

> The problems now seem to be electrical with
> all of the gauges doing some very strange things.
[snip]
> I am guessing that there is either a bad ground or a short somewhere.

You're probably right on the money with it being a bad ground...
I'm quite positive you problem lies with the front grounding point
in the car... You can see a bunch of wires on the frame, just in
front of the left front wheel (turn wheels to left lock for better
visibility)

> I had planned to change/clean the relay for the direction indicators
> but the manual shows this (and the windscreen control module,
> logic/buzzer box) next to the left hand bulkhead.

They're actuelly all located on a plate mounted to the side of
the steering column... If you trace the wires coming off of the
wiper-switch, you're bound to see the whole assy as you go along...

> I have briefly connected a jump cable between the battery post
> and the engine ground point which made no difference.

This would only help with problems at your aft ground,
your problem lies in the front area...

Clean the front grounding point thouroughly,
you should notice quite some difference!

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000