Re: Otterstat X-reference

on 09-08-2002 Richard wrote:

> Does anybody know of a cross reference for the otterstat?
> That's the sensor that decides when the fans should cut in.
> My engine gets hot very quickly, especially driving round
> towns and the fans don't kick in till the water approaches 220.
> Apparently this is normal for early cars, but later ones were
> fitted with a lower cut in temperature which I could really do with.

A sensor from a Peugeot 205 has the right temp-setting and can
be screwed into the pipe where the rubber thingie usually sits.
Downside is that the connector is different and that you have to
thread it into the metal (will go in without too much trouble:
the aluminium is softer that the brass of the sensor),
so the temp of the pipe is of some influence too.

Then Martin Wrote:

> Mine cuts in at exactly 7:30 on the guage. (220 is 9:00).
> I assume mine has a lower cut-in?

I replaced my otterstat a couple of weeks ago after the one
I had got stuck closed. My car used to cut in at 220 and dropped
off at "7:30". Now my car heats up to "7:30" and goes down to
the tick between 110 and 220. I used an OEM otterstat I got
through Ed Uding. I have a Peugeot-sensor in my "backup-kit".

When installing my otterstat I had to use silicone sealant to
stop the sensor from leaking even when I had used a new grommet.

The grommet should be replaced with the otterstat anyway,
as it gets old and hard due to heat and age...

Jan van de Wouw

Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since sept 2000