Re: [doc] DeLorean for sale? 17year old driver...

Re: [doc] DeLorean for sale? 17year old driver...

My tuppenceworth;

I have wanted one since I was 19 and a student at university. I joined the DML, went to the car shows, started up the website
as a way of getting involved. I ALWAYS wanted a fixer-upper because for me, the fun of ownership is 50% driving the car and
50% knowing that the way it looks and feels was made possible by me.

I bought mine last year at the age of 24. I paid $7500 (but by the time this was over here and the tax and shipping was paid,
it stood me at about £6500). I bought a non-runner, but I've learnt to not be scared of a car that's sat for a while. As long
as you're sensible, these engines have an incredible shelf-life! Mine was/is cosmetically in need of work, and I'm finding all
sorts of interesting ways of getting it done too :-) The crucial bit about mine is that it's absolutely untouched - everything
that should be somewhere is there. There are a few minor mods which were carried out at some point in the car's history which
have been done by someone who clearly knew what they were doing. This was definitely the right car for me!

One came up in the US for $8000 a week or two ago, stored for 17 years. Bodywork was perfect (apparently). I would have loved
to have bought that one. There's an article on the website in "other pages" on how to import one.

Mine only had 2353 miles on it when I bought it. The more I drive it now, the more it feels like a new car. Working on it at
the weekend, 21-year-old bolts were sliding out with the slightest tap from my hammer. The frame is ab-so-lu-te-ly pristine on
the front shock-towers. My suspension parts are not rusty, they're just encrusted in a layer of dirt - all the paint is intact
beneath! (yes, Paul and I did my front springs this weekend)

But the insurance will be a killer. Go work for Cable and Wireless and you can insure it! (I do)

Martin