Re: [doc] DeLorean for sale? 17year old driver...

Re: [doc] DeLorean for sale? 17year old driver...

Hi James, everyone,
Just my tuppence worth on the young owners debate:

First off, what has been said so far by Tris, Chris P and others is absolutely right. Unless you have a fair bit of technical experience, the general consensus is that a fixer-upper DeLorean will be too much to handle in terms of both time and money, especially if you have no prior experience of the car. However, as I discovered, buying a DeLorean at age 17 gives you all the time in the world to fix it up, because chances are you won't get insurance on it until your 21st birthday!!
Next up, don't rush into buying the first DeLorean you see. Get to know the car and its history as well as you can so when you go to view a DeLorean for sale, you will be able to work out how much you will need to spend on it to fix it up. For example, while many of the DeLorean mechanical parts are quite cheap (compared to other classic cars), some other items are expensive. I bought a new door handle for my DeLorean last week. I know what you're thinking, "a simple door handle, that can't have been too expensive" but in actual fact, after VAT and postage was added, that one little door handle cost me £80. So you can see how costs can soon add up.

So after those negative thoughts, where do you go from here? Well first off, whatever you do, DON'T lose sight of your goal of buying your DeLorean!

Secondly, if you can make it, the best thing to do now is come to the Classic Car Show at the National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham on the weekend of May 25th. Anyone who has been before will tell you what a great experience this is. Come along and visit us on the DeLorean club stand and chat to the club members there; they will give you vital info and share their valuable experiences with you. In time, all this will help you to buy a really nice DeLorean!

All the best, and hopefully see you at the show!

Phil Peters
VIN #4400
Wolverhampton