Re: [doc] Phase 2 engine upgrade & Daily driver

Re: [doc] Phase 2 engine upgrade & Daily driver

James -

We are very close to making an announcement about changes to the engine
program. Exorbitant costs for the originally proposed Stage III are causing
us to re-think the program in this manner:

The new Stage I will be a complete exhaust system (headers, catalysts, new
muffler) with pricing and availability yet to determined. Probably about
20-30 horsepower gain.

The existing Stage I engine (which consists of new heads, cams, complete
exhaust and some fuel injection work) will be renamed as Stage II. Costs at
this time will remain the same, $4995 to your existing engine and $6500 for
a new crate engine. This includes parts and labor. Paul at Wingray quotes
approx £3400 (to do the mods to your engine) including installation if you
bring the car to him, probably not more than 2-3 days to complete it as
well.

The previous Stage II under development becomes the new Stage III engine
which we expect to begin road testing later this year, with probably
introduction next summer. No word on pricing, though you will be able to
upgrade your Stage I or Stage II to this without any difficulties and no
price penalties.

For those who must know, the originally proposed Stage III engine, which has
now been nearly abandoned as "so expensive as to make it unsaleable", would
have been in excess of $20,000. It may see the light of day in the future,
but beyond that, there is not much I can say.

As a side note, we have outfitted about fifteen DeLoreans with the new
engines to customers from California to Florida to Minnesota and even Costa
Rica. If anyone would like references, please contact me.

Also, this is available now, with no waiting, no development wait, etc.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573