Re: [doc] Cold Start Switch?

What I'm about to write assumes the engine -did- run fine and has gone
wrong, not having been fettled with by anyone.

When the lambda system fails (duff sensor, stuck full throttle switch,
duff thermal switch) it results in the lambda system setting the mixture
rich. As the mixture needs to be rich when cold, this usually results in
just fairly heavy hunting at idle at all times, and when revved, black
smoke comes from the exhaust.

When a CPR dies, it -usually- gets stuck at 3.5bar control pressure
which is correct for a hot engine. This results in a lean running
condition when cold and causes hard starting, poor idle and the
inability to rev (accompanied with pops and bangs from the air intake).
Things really get messy when the CO screw is messed with to account for
this. This is the most likely cause of John's problem

I've also seen CPR's die showing cold control pressure (1-1.5 bar),
Primary pressure (5 bar or thereabouts) and the wierdest one of all
which showed complete open bleed-off - ie control pressure of nearly zero!

The hot start relay is redundant on cars with fuel accumulators and
won't do anything unless the missing ground wire is added.

Martin

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk