Re: [doc] advice please

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE AMOUNT OF WORK THIS WILL TAKE

There, I said it :-)

The major fun you'll have is:

- Working out that although there is enough room on the right for brake
and clutch hydraulic assemblies, you can't swap them around, which is
what would be required if you wanted to duplicate the left-hand on the
right. You will have to cut the floor out under the bonnet and make a
new one to put the spare on the left.
- The steering rack is 2" longer than a Lotus Esprit rack but otherwise
identical. With a combination of bits from a right-hand Esprit rack,
your left hand rack and a custom made rack (because it has to be
longer), you can make one.
- The dashboard is not the same shape on the right. Most right handers
have their binnacles pointing down because of this
- The radiator pipe interferes with the lower steering knuckle on the right
- the vent box has to be cut up, swapped around, reassembled and then
you'll discover that it doesn't fit. Special ducting needs to be made
for the air intake which is part of the underbody on left-hand cars.
Because the ac box is now on the left, one of the hoses from the
compressor is now too long and the only place to put the slack is in the
engine bay which means lifting the underbody off the car (and inch or
two) to be able to pull it through
- you'll have to remove both wiring looms from both doors to be able to
un-pick the wiring for the mirror switch from the left door to put in
the right. This means removing both doors.
- the wiring loom has to be swapped around at the dashboard end, but the
main loom for the front end goes down the left fromt wing, so that has
to stay.

I could go on.... and I've left out all the interior trim too...

We have sold a car that's being converted by a guy who really knows his
stuff, and he's still working on it after nearly a year.

Martin

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk