I pulled a fast one as well - I found IIL 1611 for £249 and it was money well spent, because it meant that Speedy Registrations, based in NI, acted as "middle-men" in my registration process. They sent a very helpful document telling me all the paperwork I needed to submit, money I had to pay etc etc. Nothing was submitted to the DVLA until I "got it right". There were no issues with my car being an import, or that I'd never been to the US to see it, or getting type approval (SVA).

Subsequently, Rich has been looking for a plate also and has found IIL 1711 for £800 and IIL 7111 for £1200 - did I get a good deal? I think so

Martin
IIL 1611

Chris Parnham wrote:

Tris, Martin,

Please don't miss-understand, by "cheap", its only relative, perhaps
"excellent value" would have more appropriate. I think I paid about ?800 for
AXI 79, now if that had been an "English" number say,
AX 179, it would have been about ?3/4K. or indeed 2CP, its been my best
investment to date, and is probably worth about 10 times what I paid for it
10 years ago.

There are some "excellent value" GULL numbers for sale from NI. I have often
looked at them, one I very nearly bought was GUI 512, or GUL5 12, quite nice
for a DeLorean. It was about IK. But I appreciate that many owners are
struggling to tax and insure a car, let alone buy a number fancy number for
it!

Chris P