RE: [doc] Side Stripes - Long

I spent days ringing/writing/visiting everywhere in an attempt to get
something even remotely like the texture used on the original stripes.
I sent samples to various companies.

I spoke to 3M who told me:

"The product you are looking for was obsoleted by 3M in the early 1980s
due to lack of demand. It was a 6 mil calendared black PVC film that was
laminated to either an adhesive, metal or ABS substrate, and marketed
under the Di-Noc brand. You may want to contact Sharpline Converting at
800-888-4695 as they still carry some Di-Noc materials."

I didn't contact Sharpline but tried Helen Sheane who "are the exclusive
suppliers of Di-Noc throughout Europe." They sent me samples...

Even the coarsest grain they do is little more than sandpaper texture,
and it's expensive too. GBP67 will only get you 2metres long by
1.22metres wide!
Then it needs to be cut...

I also contacted Avery. Again sandpaper is as good as it gets.
It would take some significant investment to get the exact material
manufactured, so far I haven't found anything off the shelf anywhere
close....

I like the sound of what James has done - what about the silver DMC on
the front wings? Is that cut out to show the stainless through, instead
of being printed on, or has it been left off entirely?

Rich H
DOC 365 VIN 1274

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk