Let me just break down the situation in chronological order for
simplicity...

I've had my 81 #3231 for about 4 years. When I rebuilt and refurbished
the powertrain, I took suggestions from Mark Hershey's technical docs
about the trans computer and rebuilt it as well as relocated the
circuit boards to a project box in the engine bay. I've not had a
single shift issue with the system in that configuration.

Last summer, I agreed to do a refurbishment of another automatic 81
#6597 for a family friend. I performed the same mods to his trans
computer and also relocated the boards to a project box. I ran into a
lot of difficulty even after the repairs. By swapping some parts back
and forth I narrowed the problem down to the actual "alternator" on
the side of the transmission that generates the reference voltage. The
biggest problem seems to be that the kick down lever is damaged in
some way. Moving the lever does not change the voltage or resistance,
so the computer never knows when you stomp the pedal to upshift to 2nd
. I suspect it got like this as I discovered when I pulled it
originally, the plastic stop pin had long since broken off and the
spring was gone so the whole lever was freewheeling and spun around
all wrong.

I guess I have a question and or a request.. The question is, has
anyone ever sucessfully cracked open one of these devices go get into
the innards and hopefully repair? It appears to be glued together.
Otherwise, does anyone have one of these devices in a box of stuff in
the garage they would be willing to sell me outright? The vendors all
want $500+ which includes the boards, solenoids, etc as well as a core
return. I don't need all those parts. I just need the alternator unit
itself to mate with the rest of the parts if I can't fix mine.

Thanks in advance.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: