Re: [DML] Re: A/C problem: compressor is not cycling

Re: [DML] Re: A/C problem: compressor is not cycling

Hello

I've got some information about the oil charge.
I just did some studying of the manuals and here's what I found...
Looking at the DMC service manual they tell you a way to check the oil level
inside the compressor N:10:03. You need to evacuate the system completely
and remove the fill plug at the top of the compressor. Then using a dip
stick you can check the level of oil. According to the Sanden specifications
the dip stick is 4.115 inches long and has several notches on it spaced
.118in (3mm) apart. Using this dip stick you need to measure 2 to 4 notches
of oil from the bottom. In other words the level needs to be between 3.879in
and 3.643in from the top of the oil filler hole.
If you do this be very careful with reinstalling that fill plug. It's very
easy to cross thread it or to strip it. And it's not the plug that breaks...
it's the compressor!
Another way to determine the amount of oil comes from the Sanden's service
manual. It is calculated using their formula. It takes the amount of
refrigerant into the account and allows calculation of the amount of oil
needed. It is an amount for a clean flushed system. Using 2.2lbs of
refrigerant it comes to 5.75oz of oil needed for the entire system.
There is a note stating that low oil level might cause a noisy compressor
operation. Too much oil will decrease cooling efficiency.
Remember to run the compressor at idle for 10 minutes and evacuate the
system completely before checking the level with a dip stick.

PS. I hate your measuring system! Convert to metric!! ;)

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth: 52°25'17.30"N 21° 1'58.00"E
tomciodmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.deloreana.com