Re: '82 VINs moved to '83s?

You guys must have a short memory, we had quite a disccusion on this
one or two months ago...

>From what I understand, most of the 83's were 82 vin cars. Some of
these were already built when the factory went bust before
Consolidation took over manufacture. The idea was to re vin these
cars so they could be 83 year models, thus making the cars newish,
and not last years model. Of course there may have been a few cars
that didnt meet standards, and thus they were included in the 83 re-
vinning if they were brought up to snuff.

The easy way to tell is if your VIN plate has rivets in it. If it
does, good chance its an 81 or 82. If it does not have the rivets,
these plates have been 'glued' on after the old vin plate (with a
much lower #) was taken off, or on some of the last manufactured
cars, didnt even exist. If you ever get the chance to take a VIN
plate off for whatever reason, there should be holes underneath where
the rivets would have went, if the old VINS were actual from 82.

All this, and I dont even own a DeLorean. But its coming soon...

Tom Porter
Maine, USA

(Please correct me if I am wrong...)

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "birdwell77095" <birdwells@xxxx>
wrote:
> Back in July 1999 there was a thread asking whether
> there were some '82 Deloreans which were reclassed as '83
Deloreans.