Re: Swapping Clutch on a 5 speed?

Not to start a holy war, but what the hey.. it's been a while.

I was in a position a few months ago to compare a current-design
Centerforce Clutch with a current OEM (Valeo) clutch assembly, side
by side fresh out of the box. As far as I can tell, there is NO
difference between the two other than the 50 cents worth of gold
paint on the CF version. The clutch disc, in both cases, carries
the "Valeo" label ink-stamped right on the facing. All other
stampings and codings are identical.

A few years ago the CF had some additional flyweights on the pressure
plate, but Valeo re-designed the plate and the weights don't fit
anymore. So - CF just leaves them off. No change in price.
Centerforce NEVER manufactured their own PP, they have always
modified, painted, and repackaged the Valeo. I assumed that they did
something special with the disc facing, but does not seem to be the
case, at least now.

So - At this point you may as well go with the Valeo version and save
yourself a hundred bucks or so. Both are available from the usual
vendors, I believe. And I'll bet that the stock Valeo is very common
where Jan lives.

Dave Swingle