[no subject]

dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Message: 12
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 17:42:17 -0000
From: "anaheim_21" <anaheim_21@xxxx>
Subject: Zinc Plated Frame

Hi there:

There is a company in my area who will sandblast my, zinc coat and then powder coat the entire frame. Does this sound like a good way to restore the frame?

Thanks!
Greg

Greg,

This is exactly what I did. I couldn't remove the epoxy with chemicals (paint remover), tried sand blasting, which didn't work. Asking the galvanizing shop to dip the frame to burn off the epoxy was a no-no. The method is very much discouraged, due to the immense amount of smoke. The only way to remove the epoxy for me was to blast the frame with volconic ash. This was very sharp and can cut the epoxy. The next method was to dip the frame in zinc. There are many companies that do this sort of thing, you can start a search in "http://www.thomasregister.com/"; under galvanizing. To epoxy powder coat, you need to etch the zinc for the epoxy to stick. After all this, I still undercoated the frame.

Paul