Re: [DML] Answer to Newbie DeLorean questions

Re: [DML] Answer to Newbie DeLorean questions

The DeLorean in my opinion is a great car, although very misunderstood. It was designed as an "executive" grand touring sport car that would be relatively easy to maintain and long lasting and comfortable. Many sport type cars of the day were fast but expensive to maintain, not very roomy, etc. It was not designed for acceleration. The PRV v6 is a highly reliable every day and fun engine. Acceleration is in the 10 second range for 0 to 60 but feels much quicker. It is fun to drive in the way a 1980s z280 might be fun. It feels faster than it is so you won't win any races, but you'll have a blast driving it. With a bi-turbo from Legend acceleration greatly improves to about 6 seconds. The twin turbo layout is best as it has less turbo lag than the single turbo. Again, the PRV (Peaugeut Renault Volvo) engine is very reliable, just be sure you are buying a well maintained/stored car. This is more important than mileage. Many low mileage cars are in bad shape do to improper storage. Of course, many high mileage cars are beat up too. You just have to be careful like you would be with any used car. Most of the problems associated with the DeLorean in the early years are now well understood. You simply replace those known problem things like the Lucas fuses, the plastic cooling resevoir holder that can crack, etc. No big deal it's just that you have to be aware of them. PJ Grady sells a line of "Zilla" products that plug in and solve virtually all the typical electrical probelms. Put a battery kill switch on the battery (accessible from inside the cabin) and if you shut the battery off while parked you'll eliminate the notorious dead DeLorean syndrome. (Sometimes the dome light stays on if the doors aren't fully engaged. A problem with all gull wings.) Be sure the frame is not rusted and structurally the car should be sound. The stainless exterior and fiberglass shouldn't give you any trouble of course. The steering is very tight as its rack and pinion. With the engine in the back and rear wheel drive, however, all the front tires do is steer so its not that tough and it gives you tight control. As you begin to move it obviously becomes easy to steer. The gas lifts loose gas over time and need occassional replacement - not a big deal. Clearly the door struts will wear faster. Replacement parts on some basic items are easy - for instance shock absorbers and the like are replaceable with other manufucturers products. More specialized items obviously you need to order, but there are tons and tons of those available and they ship world wide. The car is easy to work on in my opinion. I am not a mechanic but have replaced shocks, gas tank items, etc. and it isn't a big deal. This car does not have the performance of a Ferrari or a Porche 930 but it wasn't designed to do that. It is also much more unique than those automobiles. DeLorean and his team were engineering geniuses. It is a real victory that so many of them are still on the road 20 + years later, some with 300,000 plus miles - it just goes and goes and goes. His dream is now only beginning to be fully understood and appreciated. I bought mine primarily as a collector and expected all the usual DeLorean problems - surprisingly I have had only small little things here and there to do and now have no problems at all. Now I find I confidently drive it everywhere. I just love it. Good luck!