Re: [DML] Idle Speed

PRV *IS* extremely vacuum sensitive. Trust me. Test spray your
*ENTIRE* block, including oil pan, front and back, with carb cleaner
and you'll find leaks in places you never expected. Plus is great way
to clean off all that oil & other detrius. Are access covers for cam
bearings and vacuum take offs on backside of engine so don't neglect
there. I make extensions for the tube from tiny size vacuum hose to
better reach such places. Don't forget to check mating surface of cold
start tube, idle speed motor take off, and two vacuum take offs under
upper air assembly. Stick hose into dead space under intake manifold
to test ported vacuum switch and bottom side of intake O rings.

To isolate vacuum leaks from misbehaving idle speed system I'd
recommend temporarily disabling it. eMail me direct for copy of
procedure: brobertson(at)carolina.net. You might find you prefer car
without it. IMHO system does not age well. Even purists have to agree
that ability to run engine manually is important diagnostic tool if
nothing else.

Was thread some time ago about endemic DeLorean idle speed wandering.
I disagree completely. Properly tuned and tight engine should idle
100% smooth and constant, idle speed motor and Lamda notwithstanding
(even more so without them!). Mine is ALMOST there -- think a new
timing chain cover seal for crank shaft will do it. Then #5939 will
FINALLY idle like a Lincoln...

Did you see John Hervey's post Re: vacuum leak through oil dip stick?
Is true, believe it or not (try it on a running tight engine).
Darndest thing I've ever seen...

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Hervey" <john@xxxx> wrote:
> Dave,
> Did you know that the oil dip stick is supposed to be sealed as best
you can
> down into the holder. Potential vacuum leak also.
> The idle speed motor can be tested by putting a 12 volt common wire
on the
> center conductor and then touch the red wire or hot to one of the other
> terminals. Then you can see the valve inside opening and closing.
> It's better you take it off to do the test.
> John Hervey
> www.specialTauto.com

The oil